Degree Outlines and Requirements
Learn more about the credits students must earn by successfully completing courses in order to obtain degrees with the majors and minors administered by this department. At FVSU, students keep track of the credits they must earn through balance sheets:
Undergraduate Program Requirements
Entrance to the first course in English, ENGL 1101, Composition, is determined by achievement of an acceptable score on a placement test. To proceed from one Core Curriculum class in English to the next, a student must earn a grade of “C” or better in each class. To be admitted to courses on the 3000 and 4000 levels, the English major must meet the following criteria:
- Have earned a cumulative grade point average of 2.50 or higher
- Have completed all course work required to remedy deficiencies noted as a result of the Sophomore Assessment Project, ENGL 2153. Majors must earn a “C” or better in all English courses.
- Majors are required to present a research or project proposal which will be critiqued by faculty the semester or session prior to taking the senior capstone course (ENGL 4183 or 4193).
- English majors should take ENGL 1001, English Orientation, in addition to FVSU 0100, Orientation to the University.
- At least one internship or practicum is required.
- Additionally, majors are expected to participate in one or more of the following departmental student organizations:
- Creative Writing Club
- Foreign Language Club
- English Club
- Alpha Mu Gamma (foreign language honor society)
- Sigma Tau Delta International English Honor Society
All Fort Valley State University students are welcome to participate in these organizations.