Academic Policies


To enter a concentration offered by a graduate program, a student must already be admitted as a graduate student to Fort Valley State University.

Thesis Requirement

A thesis is required for the Master of Science in Animal Science degree, and it is an option for the Master of Public Health, Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling and Master of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling and Case Management degrees. Furthermore, a thesis is required for the Master of Science in Biotechnology with Animal and Plant Biotechnology options and can be an option for the Master of Science in Biotechnology with the Applied Biotechnology option.

Those graduate students who opt for a thesis are encouraged to focus on a subject for thesis research early in their candidacy. With the help of his/her academic advisor, each student must choose three or more advisors as a thesis committee by the time 18 hours of graduate study have been completed. At least one of these advisors must be a faculty member in the student’s graduate degree program option. The graduate program department head / coordinator should approve the three advisors chosen for this purpose, with final approval from the Graduate Dean.

Students in biotechnology choosing the non-thesis option must form a committee to evaluate the field experience. The process is similar to that of forming a thesis committee.

A student would only register for thesis credit (see appropriate listing) following the program coordinator’s receiving official notification from the student’s thesis advisors. If at any time the student wishes to change the constitution of the thesis committee, a request stating the reason for the change must be submitted in writing to the program coordinator, and the change must be approved by the Graduate Dean. If a thesis committee member requests to be removed from the committee, a substitute must be approved by the graduate program department head with the final approval from the Graduate Dean.

A student who has received an “in progress” grade on the thesis and has completed all other requirements is required to enroll and pay the required fees for three credit hours in any subsequent semester that he/she returns to remove the “in progress” grade. Such students are ineligible for thesis consultations and use of library facilities during any interim period when they are not officially enrolled.

Change of Admission Status

A student entering in one category must initiate the request to be changed to another status
Additionally, students must complete an application for admission to a new program whenever there is a desire to change fields. This form must be signed by all designated individuals.

Post Baccalaureate

  • Post-baccalaureate study allows individuals with an undergraduate degree to take undergraduate courses for enrichment purposes or students who must take course work required for admission into graduate or professional level (certification) programs.
  • The hours do not count toward a degree.
  • Students must apply through the undergraduate Admissions Office.

Fee Assessment

Any student placed in the “GS” level of the information system will be charged at the graduate student rate. The student should be mindful that fees are assessed according to “level” in our current information management system.  A student enrolling in an online graduate level course will be charged the e-tuition graduate rate.

Standardized Test Scores

The institution accepts scores from the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) or the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and, in some cases, other exams such as the GMAT, MCAT or others. Standardized test scores are valid for a period of 7 years from the date the test was taken.

Senior Citizens

In compliance with the provisions of the Georgia Constitution Amendment 23, persons 62 years of age or older may enroll on a “space available basis” as regular or auditing students in university courses offered for resident credit, without payment of matriculation fees. Students enrolling in this status must pay for supplies and laboratory or shop fees. To be eligible for enrollment, such persons must be residents of Georgia and be 62 years of age or older at the time of enrollment as verified by a submitted birth certificate or other comparable written documentation. Proof of age is required to enable the institution to determine the person’s eligibility to enroll. Applicants must meet all System and institution undergraduate or graduate requirements.

Readmission Requirements

Students who have attended another college or university since their last enrollment as graduate students at Fort Valley State University, regardless of the length of time away from FVSU, must submit an application for readmission through the Office of Admissions. Likewise, any former students whose attendance has been interrupted for one semester, excluding summer school, are required to complete and submit an application for readmission. The application for readmission must be received in the Registrar’s Office at least 20 days prior to the beginning date for the semester in which enrollment is desired. The application form for readmission is provided by the Office of the Registrar and should be returned to the Registrar’s Office when completed.