Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
- Need-based loan with interest paid by the federal government during enrollment period.
- Interest rate fixed at 5.6 percent for 2009-2010, with 10 years to repay.
- Maximum amounts: $3500 for freshman, $4500 for sophomores, $5500 for juniors and seniors, $20500 for graduates.
- The .5% net origination fee (after 1.0% automatic rebate for on-time payment) is included in the loan amount.
- Repayment begins six months after the student graduates or is enrolled less than half time.
- Families must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (www.fafsa.ed.gov) to determine eligibility for this loan.
Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
- Students eligible for above subsidized loan can receive an additional 2,000 unsubsidized.
- Maximum amounts: $5500 for freshman, $6500 for sophomores, $7500 for juniors and seniors, $20500 for graduates.
- Interest rate fixed at 6.8 percent, with 10 years to repay.
- Non-need-based loan with interest paid on a monthly basis during the enrollment period of or deferred and added to the principal amount when repayment begins.
- All other terms are the same as above.
Federal Direct Loan Online Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Before you begin the online MPN process, please make sure to have the following information available to you:
- Your PIN issued to you by the US Department of Education;
- Your Social Security Number;
- Your driver’s license number;
- Your permanent address and telephone number;
- Information for two references, including: name, addresses, and telephone numbers.
Having the aforementioned information available prior to beginning the online MPN will help you successfully complete the process.
Please note: Entrance counseling and the MPN must be completed before loan funds are credited to your University account. Financial Aid is normally applied to student accounts seven (7) days before the first day of class. According to federal regulations, first-time freshmen must wait thirty (30) days after the first day of class.
STUDENTS: Please follow the instructions provided below to successfully apply for a Federal Direct Student Loan.
Please make sure that you select “Subsidized/Unsubsidized” then click on the “continue” button and complete the process.
If you do not have or do not know your PIN, you may request it at. Please keep in mind, if you are requesting a new PIN it will be sent to you via email in 3 business days. If an email address is not provided, it will take 7-10 business days to receive a PIN via mail.