FVSU Fast Facts
Fort Valley State University was founded in 1895 as Fort Valley High and Industrial School. The university is one of Georgia’s two land-grant institutions and one of the state’s ten historically black colleges and universities.
FVSU’s mission is to provide educational advancement with an emphasis upon fulfilling commitments that our community has collectively undertaken.
Fort Valley State University remains Georgia’s only 1890 land-grant institution, and one of the state’s three public, historically black colleges and universities. Located in Fort Valley, Ga., the campus was originally chartered in 1895 as Fort Valley High and Industrial School. FVHIS merged with State Teachers and Agricultural College of Forsyth in 1939 to become Fort Valley State College. The University System of Georgia’s Board of Regents later granted FVSC a university status in June 1996.
On July 22, 2013, Dr. Ivelaw Lloyd Griffith became the ninth president of Fort Valley State University. Before arriving to Fort Valley State University, President Griffith served as provost and senior vice president at York College of the City University of New York. Before becoming York’s provost in 2007, Dr. Griffith was professor of political science and budget dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Florida International University (FIU), dean of The Honors College at FIU, and provost at Radford University in Virginia. President Griffith holds a Bachelor of Social Sciences, with distinction in political science, from The University of Guyana, a Master of Arts in Political Science and Public Administration from Long Island University, New York, and both a Master of Philosophy and a Ph.D. in Political Science from The City University of New York Graduate School. He also graduated from Harvard Graduate School of Education’s program in educational leadership.
- Arts and Sciences
- Agriculture, Family Sciences and Technology
- Graduate Studies and Extended Education
Programs for High-Achievers:
- Cooperative Developmental Energy Program (CDEP)
- Honors Program
- Undergraduate Research Program
- University Today Scholar’s Program
Accounting, Agricultural Economics, Biology, Business Management, Criminal Justice, Early Childhood Education, General Business, Liberal Studies, Mass Communications, Middle Grades Education, Psychology and Veterinary Technology
Graduate:Animal Science, Biotechnology, Environmental Health Sciences, Mental Health Counseling, Middle Grades Education, Rehabilitation Counseling and Case Management and School Counseling
Online: Criminal Justice, Political Science, Psychology, Rehabilitation Counseling and Case Management and Technical & Professional Writing
Undergraduate:$3,144 (In-State) • $9,245 (Out-of-State)
Graduate: $2,935 (In-State) • $8,653 (Out-of-State)
$2,139 - $3,191 per semester
64 registered student organizations, including 2 social fraternities and 3 social sororities
- Cross Country
- Soccer Coming Soon!
FVSU is a member of the University System of Georgia.
Fort Valley State University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award baccalaureate and master’s degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Fort Valley State University.
- Ed.S. - School Counseling Education (Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC) and National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE)
- M.S. - Rehabilitation Counseling and Case Management (The Council on Rehabilitation Education)
- M.S.Ed. - Middle Grades Education (GaPSC/NCATE)
- M.S.Ed. - Early Childhood/Special Education (GaPSC/NCATE)
- M.Ed. - School Counselor Education (NCATE/Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs)
- B.S. - Electronics Engineering Technology (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology)
- B.S. - Veterinary Technology (American Veterinary Medical Association)
- B.S. - Middle Grades Education (GaPSC/NCATE)
- B.S. - Early Childhood/Special Education (GaPSC/NCATE)
- B.S. - Health & Physical Education (GaPSC/NCATE)
- B.S. - Agricultural Teacher Education (GaPSC/NCATE)
- B.S. - Family Consumer Sciences Education (GaPSC/NCATE)
Programs Working Towards Accreditation:
- Business Administration & Economics (Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs Candidacy)
- B.A. - Economics
- B.B.A. - Accounting
- B.B.A. - Management
- B.B.A. - Marketing
- B.S. - Chemistry (American Chemical Society)
- B.A. - Commercial Design (National Association of Schools of Art and Design)
- B.A. - Mass Communication (Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication)
- B.S. - Computer Science (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology)
- M.S. - Mental Health Counseling
- M.P.H. - Environmental Health