Fort Valley State University requires reasonable academic progress of its students. Students are considered to be in good academic standing if they maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA. When a student’s academic standing approaches standards that are not acceptable for continued enrollment, i.e., a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0, a warning notice of Academic Probation will be placed on the student's academic record. Retrieve your academic standing via Banner Web.
Academic Suspension means that you are not permitted to enroll for one term for failure to maintain a specified average as indicated in the catalog. Any application for readmission after the period of one semester must be submitted with a letter of appeal to the Office of the Registrar for review by the Appeals Committee. Deadline to submit letter of appeal is available online. Submit letter of appeal to Registrar1@fvsu.edu
Academic Dismissal means that the student is suspended for a second time and will not be permitted to enroll for a minimum of one calendar year from the time of dismissal. Any application for readmission after the period of one year must be submitted with a letter of appeal to the Office of the Registrar for review by the Appeals Committee. Deadline to submit letter of appeal is available online. Submit letter of appeal to Registrar1@fvsu.edu
Process to Appeal Suspension/Dismissal (excluding Learning Support):
A student requesting an appeal due to Suspension/Dismissal must:
- Download the Appeal form: Appeal Request Form
- Submit an academic appeal for Spring, Summer or Fall by the following deadlines:
- Re-admits appealing for Spring- December 5th –Decisions emailed by December 19th
- Students enrolled Spring appealing for Fall-June 30th-Decisions emailed by July 10th
- Re-admits appealing for Summer- April 15th-Decisions emailed by April 20th
- Students enrolled Summer appealing for Fall- August 6th-Decisions emailed by August 8th
- Re-admits appealing for Fall-June 30th- Decisions emailed by July 10th
- Students enrolled Fall appealing for Spring- December 17th- Decisions emailed by December 19th
- Submit the completed appeal request form via e-mail only to: Registrar1@fvsu.edu
- On the e-mail Subject line please use the following format: Subject: Academic Appeal - Jane Doe (please include your first and last name)
Once a decision has been made, the student will receive a letter via email with the Academic Appeals Committee decision. If the student disagrees with the decision of the Academic Appeals Committee, the student may contact University College at 478-822-1018 or by email at email@example.com.