The FVSU application and all supporting documentation must be received in the Office of Recruitment and Admissions by the stated deadlines below:
Fall semester – June 15
Spring semester – November 1
Summer semester – April 1
Verification of Lawful Presence (Required by all applicants/students seeking in-state tuition):
The Board of Regents of University System of Georgia (USG) has recently instituted new policies that affect all applicants who seek in-state tuition at USG institutions. According to USG policy, individuals who apply for Fall 2011 and beyond must submit documentation of US citizenship or permanent residency before being considered for in-state tuition.
The following documents serve as proof of lawful presence in the United States. One of the following is required before you are eligible for in-state tuition:
- Your completed FAFSA for the intended financial aid year. Lawful presence can be determined through this process. The Fort Valley State University school code for the FAFSA is 001566.
- A certified US birth certificate showing the applicant was born in the US or a US territory. Photocopies are not acceptable.
- Copy of a current US passport.
- Copy of a current driver’s license issued by the state of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
- Copy of a US certificate of naturalization.
- Copy of a US certificate of citizenship.
- A US certificate of birth abroad issued by the Department of State or a consular report of birth abroad.
- A current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551).
- Current ID issued by the State of Georgia.
- Current Military ID (service member only, not dependent).
All documents can be submitted by the following methods:
- Emailing scanned copies to firstname.lastname@example.org as (pdf, jpeg, etc.)
- Fax (with cover page) to 478-825-6249
- Mailed to the attention of the Office of Recruitment and Admissions at the address listed at the bottom of this webpage
Any applicant whose status cannot be verified is not eligible for in-state tuition regardless of how long he or she has lived in Georgia. If you feel as though you qualify for in-state tuition, please submit one of the above documents as soon as possible. The FAFSA Form is the primary method used to verify lawful presence. We recommend you complete your FAFSA as soon after January 1 as possible. Once we receive your documentation, your application will be evaluated for in-state tuition.
If you have been classified as an out-of-state student for tuition purposes, positive verification does not necessarily warrant an in-state classification. In addition to being lawfully present in the United States, students must meet the in-state tuition requirements as outlined in BOR Policy 4.3.2. If you have any additional questions about In-State Residency, please email the Tuition Classification Officer at TCO@fvsu.edu.
For further information regarding Verification of Lawful Presence, please visit the University System of Georgia, Office of Student Affairs Information Page athttp://www.usg.edu/student_affairs/students/verification_of_lawful_presence