As an adult learner, pursuing higher education can be an exciting experience and a little challenging. This site will offer resources to help make the most of your FVSU experience. Whether you are beginning a college career or returning after several years, we are here to help assure your academic success. Please read below to get started on your new and exciting journey.
Support personnel who take the extra step to assist our adult students include Director of Distance Education Advisement and Enrollment, Ashley Ballard, and Distance Education Student Support Specialist, Belinda Oates. Their offices are in the Warner Robins Center, 151 Osigian Blvd., Warner Robins. They can be reached at 478-953-7423 or email@example.com. Dr. Jean Wacaster, Chair of the Adult Learning Consortium Steering Committee at FVSU, also is ready to field your questions and hear your concerns. Reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org or 478-825-6365.
Prior Learning Assessment Counselor - Ashley Ballard:
141 FVSU Warner Robins Center 478-953-3911
Prior Learning Assessment Coordinator – Dr. Jean Wacaster
205 Hubbard Education, Fort Valley Campus 478-825-6858
Criminal Justice Prior Learning Assessment counselors and evaluators
Julius Trimble: 198 Horace Mann Bond, Fort Valley Campus 478-825-6161
Preston Martin: 136 Horace Mann Bond, Fort Valley Campus 478-825-6161
- Adult and Military Home Page
- Online Programs
- Financial Aid
- Prior Learning Assessment Handbook
- Contact Us
- Institution Main Page
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is the evaluation for college credit of the knowledge and skills one gains from life experiences (or from non-college instructional programs) including employment, travel, hobbies, civic activities and volunteer service.
Fort Valley State University, a member of the University System of Georgia Adult Learning Consortium, offers students the opportunity to use CLEP and DSST scores, challenge exams, and assessed portfolios in order to be assessed for learning achieved prior to entry to the university. The standards of the national organization, Council for Adult and Experiential Learning or CAEL are adhered to by the university.
1) Contact Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) Counselor (Mr. Ashley Ballard @ 478-953- 7423)
Additional contacts -
Dr. Jean Wacaster, PLA Coordinator @478-825-6858
Dr. Anna Holloway, PLA Principal Investigator @ 478-825-6791; Mr. Julius Trimble, PLAC 2000 Instructor @ 478-825-6230
2) Apply to FVSU and submit transcripts through PLA Counselor (see contact information above). Physical location: FVSU Warner Robins Center, 151 Osigian Blvd., Warner Robins, GA 31088.
3) Discuss prior learning experience and documentation with PLA Counselor.
4) Select major; PLA Counselor will forward file to PLA advisor in major area. Student should contact major advisor.
5) If portfolio assessment is desired, student should enroll in PLAC 2000 at FVSU or PLA 2000 in GeorgiaView. One portfolio will be completed as part of this course.
6) Student must submit Application for PLA Credit (including administrative form/portfolio process agreement) and pay assessment fee for subsequent portfolios. The fee for evaluating a portfolio will be $250, to be used for administration and paying assessors.
(At this time the deadline for completion of the portfolio will be determined.)
7) Student completes portfolio with assistance from the faculty advisor. The completed portfo
lio will be assessed by a portfolio assessor to determine the awarding of credit.
8) The PLA Handbook provides specific information and details on the process.