Fee Waivers available to military
Tuition benefit for military applicants
Recently Separated Military Service Personnel
Members of a uniformed military service of the United States who, within twelve (12) months of separation from such service, enroll in an academic program and demonstrate an intent to become domiciled in Georgia. This waiver may also be granted to their spouses and dependent children. This waiver may be granted for not more than one (1) year (BoR Minutes, June 2004, amended October 2008).”
If the veteran has been out of the military for more than 12 months:
- The veteran should complete a FAFSA if he/she has not done so already. They may qualify for a Pell Grant or other assistance.
- If your school offers any military (or non-military) scholarships, the veteran should apply for them, as well as any other scholarships outside of GSW.
- As a last resort, the veteran could apply for student loan(s) to cover the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition.
University System to Waive Student Fees for Combat Veterans
The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia (USG) approved a measure waiving mandatory fees for any Georgia residents who have seen combat in recent years as active members of the Georgia National Guard or the U.S. Military Reserves.
The Board of Regents, at their April 2012 meeting approved a resolution to continue the Special Institutional Fee (SIF). The resolution included an exemption for:
- all active duty military students
- dual enrolled students
- students cross-registered at multiple institutions and who are paying the SIF at their home institution
- students who are admitted under Policy 22.214.171.124 – Person Aged 62 or Over
The resolution also allows the institution to reduce the SIF by 50% for all students enrolling in less than 5 credit hours.
A new Fee Classification Waiver code (WSIF ) has been created to capture/report the fee waivers for all above eligible students.
Attached are the guidelines for how to identify qualifying military members.
If you have any questions about the resolution or the implementation guidelines, please contact Student-Affairs@usg.edu.