Vacancy Number: 982
Job Summary: Fort Valley State University seeks a qualified person to teach undergraduate courses in the new Visual and Performing Arts degree program. The Assistant Professor of Art/Art History will have strong teaching skills, knowledge of commonly used classroom technologies, thorough knowledge of art history and art related disciplines, good communication skills and good time management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaching 12 – 15 hours per semester in art history, art appreciation, and/or art related disciplines
- Keeping up-to-date with current advances in both research and pedagogy
- Choosing appropriate textbooks
- Preparing lectures and grading, etc.
- Advising students in curriculum matters and/or serve as an advisor to student organization
- Serving on various committees at the Departmental, College and Institutional levels
- Performing service activities to the “academic community,” such as organizing conferences, editing and refereeing for journals, serving a judge, etc.
- Performing research and engaging in scholarly activities and service – research activities involve solving problems and staying current in the areas of expertise
- Producing journal articles, attending conferences, and staying in touch with other researchers in the field
- Fulfilling other duties and teaching assignments as assigned
- Earned doctorate or terminal degree in Art History or Fine Arts related discipline
- Three (3) years of teaching experience
- Possess a strong background in Art History and/or art related coursework
- Exhibit a record of developed organizational skills and demonstrate outstanding interpersonal skills
- Experience with art history, studio and computer design; significant creative professional activity in the field; and, strong background in art history
- Familiarity with online teaching and/or similar software
- Ability to work well with others and Student Centered
- Ability to work extended laboratory hours
- Travel is required on a limited basis; Student Exhibitions, Workshops, etc.
- Evening classes may be required (6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.)
- Weekends may be required periodically for workshops and art exhibitions
- Standing may be required for extended periods of time in lectures or student exhibitions
- Lifting may be required in some art labs and/or assisting in preparing student exhibitions
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested persons MUST submit a complete application packet which includes:
- FVSU Application (include Job Title and Job Number)
- Cover Letter (include Job Title and Job Number)
- Unofficial Transcript(s) – Diploma copies are not accepted in lieu of transcripts
- List of three (3) Professional References including their contact information
Complete application packets should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the Job Title and Job Number in the subject line. Application packets that do not contain ALL required information will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
Application packets will be accepted through July 29, 2016; review and interviewing of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.