Department of Fine Arts, Humanities and Mass Communications
The Department of Fine Arts, Humanities and Mass Communications at Fort Valley State University invites applications for a full-time Assistant/Associate Professor tenure-track position, beginning Fall Semester 2014.
The Assistant/Associate Professor of Mass Communications will teach core courses in journalism, history and ethics in the media, survey of mass communication and public relations theory and practice. Evening and off-campus classes will be part of the teaching responsibilities. The Assistant/Associate Professor will be required to participate in service activities at the departmental, college, and university levels, and to the external community. The Assistant/Associate Professor will also serve as advisor to the campus student newspaper.
The department is especially interested in applicants who have a strong background in research, grant writing, and other professional development activities.
A Doctorate degree in journalism or related area with a minimum 18 graduate hours in the mass communication disciplineis required. Training in assessment and in the use of both creative and critical thinking techniques in teaching and learning is also an asset. Candidates must be excellent writers and must be able to foster student writing-across-the-curriculum. Additionally, the candidate must be familiar with newspaper layout and production.
Review of applications will begin May 1, 2014 and continue until position is filled.
Interested persons should submit an FVSU employment application, cover letter, resume, official transcript(s), three (3) professional reference letters and a background investigation consent form to:
Office of Human Resources
Fort Valley State University
1005 State University Drive
Fort Valley, GA 31030-4313
• Must be able to move audio and video equipment (Taping and Recording)
• Must able to travel to events (on and off campus)
• Must be able to work on evenings and weekends (on occasion)
• Must be able to walk campus areas and climb stairs (as necessary)
• Must be able to work outside (Taping and Recording – Athletic Events, University Programs, etc.)
• Must able to stand for extended periods of time in teaching and lab environments
• Must be able to work occasionally in extreme sound or lighting conditions