Vacancy Number: 1002
Job Summary: Reporting to the Vice President for Business and Finance, the Budget Director is the Chief Budget Officer of the University and is responsible for providing administrative direction and coordination of the University’s operating and capital budgets. This position provides fiscal analysis so that upper level management can react to changes in enrollment patterns and other financial threats and opportunities in a timely manner. This position will also be responsible for working with Head Start and Early Head Start grant or contract-related expenditures and must be able to comprehend the complex nature of grant and contract relationships, including the discernment of allowable expenditures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares the Budgetary Compliance Report and all budgetary amendments;
- Manages the University’s annual operating and capital budget;
- Responsible for guidance and oversight of the strategic allocation and monitoring of funds providing financial analysis of the University’s major budgets including allocation tracking.
- Maintains ongoing analysis of budget surplus/deficit related to the budgetary compliance report during the fiscal year.
- Prepares special management reports for senior administrators and Board of Regents officials and advises senior management and other managers in annual budget preparations.
- Evaluates requests and makes resources allocation recommendations to senior management.
- Coordinates all budget development with the campus community and with executive leadership, keeping in mind key dates as set by the USG Board of Regents.
- Analyzes and presents budget information and data for use in planning, policy formation and decision making. Prepares reports and provides interpretive budget analysis.
- Communicates directly with the University System of Georgia Budget representatives and, in all cases, ensures that reports is accurate, timely, and informative.
- Prepares financial analysis and provides predictive budget analysis and recommended financial responses to upper level management.
- Responsible for budget policies and coordinating training efforts for budget managers across campus.
- Manages the budget checking function in PeopleSoft Financials and makes adjustments as necessary.
- Reviews the proposed budget with administrators, provides historical documentation.
- Works with Head Start grant accountant and trains to utilize project accounting to account for Head Start grants.
- Works with Head Start employees, project managers, sponsors, and others to resolve issues on a regular basis.
- Responsible for position management (i.e. Responsible for creating, updating and monitoring all budgeted positions.)
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance and a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in advanced accounting, at least three (3) years budgeting experience required.
- Extensive knowledge of the budgeting process, financial modeling and financial planning is essential.
- Knowledge of automated accounting and reporting system and proficiency with Microsoft Excel, word processing software, query/report writing and data maintenance.
- Advanced knowledge of GAAP and budgetary accounting.
- Knowledge of governmental accounting methods and procedures and financial practices
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, organizational, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently with little supervision
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Master’s Degree in Accounting or Business related field
- Experience with PeopleSoft Accounting System and ADP
- Experience in higher education setting
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and BOR policies and procedures
- Less than 5% travel required
- May require working beyond normal working hours as business needs dictate
- Work is performed indoors in a climate controlled environment
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift 10 lbs
- Normal hand dexterity
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested persons MUST submit a complete application packet which includes:
- FVSU Application (include Job Title and Job Number)
- Cover Letter (include Job Title and Job Number)
- Unofficial Transcript(s) – Diploma copies are not accepted in lieu of transcripts
- List of three (3) Professional References including their contact information
Complete application packets should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the Job Title and Job Number in the subject line. Application packets that do not contain ALL required information will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
The deadline to apply is September 22, 2016; review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.