Public Service Center
Educating, Empowering and Assisting the Community Through Outreach
Built in 1902, the Evans Building was donated to Fort Valley State university by the late Albert S. Evans family in July 1997. Prior to the building being gifted to the university, the facility once housed two banks, Bank of Fort Valley and the Citizens Bank. Additionally, it served as the site of the J.M. Elrod Co 5c & 10c store, Dr. Daniel Nathan’s medical practice, the Houser & Lee Insurance Company, the local post office, and several specialty stores.
Located in the heart of the central business district, this handsome three floor 21,500 square foot facility encompasses a spacious conference and training facility, an executive board room, and a state-of-the-art technology laboratory.
It serves as headquarters for the Rural Business Outreach Institute, the University Today Scholar Program and the FVSU Community Development Corporation.
The University Today Scholars’ Program is Fort Valley State University’s unique college preparatory dual enrollment initiative designed to encourage academically talented high school juniors and seniors to earn college degree-level credit through the ACCEL or Move on When Ready Program as they simultaneously meet their high school graduation requirements. With tuition and a portion of fees financed through state funding, eligible students are well on their way to furthering their future and their education here at THE Fort Valley State University!
University Today Scholars have the opportunity to take courses from the University’s core curriculum during the Fall and Spring semesters each year and jumpstart their college education. Courses cover the spectrum of the core academic curriculum with a primary focus upon enhancing research and analytical skills. Additional services provided include College Exploration Opportunities, assistance completing College Applications, identification of Scholarship Opportunities, Summer Employment Opportunities, assistance in Registering for Standardized Tests such as the SAT/ACT, Free SAT/ACT Preparatory Workshops, and tutorial assistance in our Academic Success Center. Throughout the course of their tenure in the program, scholars are provided with an infrastructure of continual support to maximize and ensure student success.
The University Today Scholars Program allows eligible students entering 11th or 12th grade and who are enrolled at a public or private high school, to enroll at Fort Valley State University as a dual enrolled student. Eligibility criteria for credit bearing courses require the following:
- High School junior or senior status
- Classification as a legal resident of the state of Georgia
- U.S. Citizenship
- Must not owe a refund on a State program
- Must not already have a GED or high school diploma.
ACCEL ADMISSIONS CRITERIA
- Minimum high school grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 (core classes plus foreign language)
- Minimum composite score of 970 on the SAT (Math and Verbal) or a 21 on the ACT
MOVE on WHEN READY (MOWR) ADMISSIONS CRITERIA
- Minimum high school grade point average (GPA) of 3.25 (core classes plus foreign language)
- Minimum composite score of 1,000 on the SAT (Math and Verbal) or a 23 on the ACT
- Attendance at a Georgia public high school during the year prior to enrollment in the program
- Letter of recommendation from high school principal and/or high school counselor granting prospective student permission to participate in MOWR
- FVSU Application
- ACCEL Application (Online) – Must submit a copy of completed application to program office
- Official High School Transcripts
- Official SAT/ACT Test Scores
Public Service Center
General email: email@example.com
Office fax: (478) 825-6139
Public Service Center Director