University Today Scholars
UTS Program Overview
The University Today Scholars' Program is Fort Valley State University's dual enrollment college preparatory program designed to provide Georgia high school juniors and seniors with the opportunity to earn college degree-level credit hours as they simultaneously meet their high school graduation requirements. Students have the opportunity to matriculate into credit-bearing cources at our university during the fall and spring semesters only. The program is not available during the summer semester.
Tuition and book costs are covered for participating Georgia public high school students.
Candidates have an opportunity to be granted provisional admission into the UTSP if they do not meet all requirements for traditional admission. This is reserved for candidates who meet all requirements but are within at least twenty (20) points of the 970 combined Verbal and Math score on the SAT or four (4) points of the composite 21 on the ACT.
University Today Scholars have the opportunity to take courses from the university’s core curriculum during the Fall and Spring semesters each year and jumpstart their college education. Courses cover the spectrum of the core academic curriculum with a primary focus upon enhancing research and analytical skills. Additional services provided include College Exploration Opportunities, assistance completing College Applications, identification of Scholarship Opportunities, Summer Employment Opportunities, assistance in Registering for Standardized Tests such as the SAT/ACT, Free SAT/ACT Preparatory Workshops, and tutorial assistance in our Academic Success Center. Throughout the course of their tenure in the program, scholars are provided with an infrastructure of continual support to maximize and ensure student success.
The University Today Scholars Program allows eligible students entering 11th or 12th grade and who are enrolled at a public or private high school, to enroll at Fort Valley State University as a dual enrolled student. Eligibility criteria for credit bearing courses require the following:
- High School junior or senior status
- Classification as a legal resident of the state of Georgia
- U.S. Citizenship
- Must not owe a refund on a State program
- Must not already have a GED or high school diploma.
ACCEL ADMISSIONS CRITERIA
- Minimum high school grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 (core classes plus foreign language)
- Minimum composite score of 970 on the SAT (Math and Verbal) or a 21 on the ACT
MOVE on WHEN READY (MOWR) ADMISSIONS CRITERIA
- Minimum high school grade point average (GPA) of 3.25 (core classes plus foreign language)
- Minimum composite score of 1,000 on the SAT (Math and Verbal) or a 23 on the ACT
- Attendance at a Georgia public high school during the year prior to enrollment in the program
- Letter of recommendation from high school principal and/or high school counselor granting prospective student permission to participate in MOWR
- FVSU Application
- ACCEL Application (Online) – Must submit a copy of completed application to program office
- Official High School Transcripts
- Official SAT/ACT Test Scores