Vacancy Number: 977
Is this City for You?
Founded in 1895 as Fort Valley High and Industrial School, Fort Valley State has experienced tremendous growth and development over the years – culminating into a vibrant university with exceptional associate’s, bachelor’s and master’s degree programs and centers of excellence. As one of only two land grant institutions in the state of Georgia, the second largest campus in the state with over 1300 acres, and the highest ranked public historically black college and university (HBCU) in the state according to US News rankings, Fort Valley State University (FVSU) is recognized as not only a campus community where diversity and inclusion are cherished, but also as a place where the principles of Embrace (our heritage), Empower (our employees), and Engage (our students) are exemplified throughout campus on a daily basis.
The city of Fort Valley and its neighboring communities provide the friendliness and tranquility indicative of a small southern town, while simultaneously providing residents interested in larger city life with an easy 20-minute drive to the Macon-Warner Robins metropolitan area and its 400,000 residents and plethora of shopping, dining, and entertainment options. And with the North Georgia mountains and the Savannah and Gulf Coast beaches within a 3-hour drive, and Atlanta a mere 1.5 hours away, the best amenities that this country has to offer are literally a short scenic drive away. It’s no wonder so many people are choosing to call Middle Georgia home and FVSU their employer of choice!
Job Summary: The Farm Worker I will assist the Farm Manager by performing modern farming practices, and helping with plot work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Dig and plant seeds or transplant seedlings by hand
- Operate tractors, combine and machinery to plow, harrow and fertilize soil or to plant, cultivate, spray and harvest crops
- Repair farm buildings, fences and other structures
- Set up and operate irrigation equipment
- Maintain grounds, pastures, and fencing at the research station
- Cut and harvest hay
- Feed animals at the research station, as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED
- One year working on a farm with row crops
- Ability to operate tractors, mowers and other farm equipment
- Valid Driver’s License
- Full time 8am-5pm, Monday through Friday; occasional weekend work may be required
- Work is primarily done outdoors
- Operate and drive state vehicles
- Heavy lifting, climbing, kneeling
- Exposure to different chemicals (herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizer)
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested persons MUST submit a complete application packet which includes:
- FVSU Application (include Job Title and Job Number)
Complete application packets should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the Job Title and Job Number in the subject line. Application packets that do not contain ALL required information will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.