Office of Student Success
The Front Desk Assistant position is a critical front line position within the Residential Life operation at Fort Valley State University. The assistant is responsible for knowing, voicing, modeling, and motivating students and guests to adhere to expectations of Fort Valley State University related to the policies, procedures, safety and security of the residence hall communities at Fort Valley State University.
The Front Desk Assistant will work part-time (up to 24 hours per week) from 12 midnight to 8:00 a.m., including weekends and holidays.
• Serve as customer service center and role model for residents, non-resident students, and guests to adhere to expectations of Fort Valley State University related to the policies, procedures, safety and security of the residential communities at Fort Valley State University
• Answer questions and provide assistance for all inquires directed at the service desk
• Provide friendly and quality customer service to residents, non-resident students, and guests of Fort Valley State University
• Be familiar with the Residential Life staff in the assigned residential community (i.e. RAs, Hall Council members)
• Greet and register visitors according to outlined “visitation procedures”, and provide required information and/or assistance to non-resident students and guests to the residential community to which assigned
• Be alert and prepared to assist with emergency situations. Report all suspicious persons and inappropriate behavior to Campus Police and Safety
• Encourage all FVSU students to carry University issued ID at all times
• Perform the leadership assignment assigned with personal care, conscientious effort, and positive results
• Assist with proper and systematic check-in and check-out of residential students in the residential community to which assigned
• Assist the Residential Life Coordinator (RLC) with administrative tasks as assigned
• Be present and attentive at all required training sessions, workshops, and meetings
• Be on time, stay alert and aware of surroundings through the duration of all assigned shifts, and work all shifts assigned
• Be responsible for assigned keys at all times
• Make the position a priority before all other activities and commitments
• Abide by the standards set forth by the FVSU University Student Handbook, Honor Code, and Code of Conduct, at all times
• High School Diploma or Equivalent
• Ability to communicate with residents, parents, and guests in a confidential and professional manner
• Ability to organize and work with student groups, formally and informally
Interested persons should submit a complete application packet which includes:
- FVSU Application (include Job Title and Job Number)
- Cover Letter (include Job Title and Job Number)
- Unofficial Transcript(s) – Diploma copies are not accepted in lieu of transcripts
- List of three (3) Professional References including their contact information
Complete application packets should be emailed to email@example.com, with the Job Title and Job Number in the subject line. Application packets that do not contain ALL required information will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
• Part-Time Work Schedule (12 midnight – 8 am); up to 24 hours per week
• Overtime may be required on occasion, dependent on workload and work objectives
• Ability to sit at a workstation for extended periods
• Occasional ability to lift, carry, and put away office supplies weighing up to 25 pounds
• Ability to see, hear, and speak to perform normal office tasks