Fort Valley State University has a tradition of fostering a family-like atmosphere among students, faculty and staff. Therefore, Marketing and Communications will communicate confirmed deaths that occur in the Wildcat family using the following guidelines.
- Funeral announcements relating to FVSU students, alumni, current or former faculty and staff and their immediate families* are accepted.
- All requests for posting announcements for campus-wide distribution and web posting are subject to verification.
- All administrative units, academic departments, and recognized student organizations associated with Fort Valley State University may post an event and/or announcement through Marketing and Communications’ campus event/announcement system.
- Announcements must be submitted to the Office of Marketing and Communications 48 to 72 hours prior to the requested post date to Create an Announcement or call (478) 825-6319. Exceptions to this deadline will be made at the discretion of Marketing and Communications.
Information on this site will include the death announcement and funeral/memorial service arrangements. Other select information may be included. An active link will remain on the site for past announcements.
* Immediate family is defined as spouse, parents and grandparents, children and grandchildren, brothers and sisters, mother-in-law and father-in-law, brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law, daughters-in-law and sons-in-law. Adopted and step members are also considered immediate family.
We are saddened to announce the passing of Mr. DeWayne Leon Adams, Fort Valley State University alumnus, who died on April 3, 2016. Mr. Adams obtained a Bachelor of Science in Biology in 1999. During his tenure at FVSU, he became a member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
Adams furthered his education at Georgia Southern University where he received a Master of Science in Biology in 2002. He attended the Howard University School of Dentistry in Washington, D.C. and was currently pursuing a master’s degree in biotechnology at Fort Valley State University. Prior to returning to school to further his education, Adams taught science at Dublin Middle School in Dublin, Ga. and biology at Georgia Military College in Valdosta, Ga.
Funeral services were held Saturday, April 9, at 1 p.m. at Simmon Hill Missionary Baptist Church in Dixie, Ga.
To read the full obituary, click here.
Please send your condolences to the family:
P.O. Box 506
Blakely, Ga. 39823