Frequently Asked Questions

Are students required to live on campus?

Freshman and sophomores (59 hours or less) that do not live within a 50 mile radius of FVSU are required to live on campus.

When can I apply for housing?

No student can apply for housing until he/she has been fully admitted to the University; please check the website, student email, and residence hall memos for dates on early housing renewal and deadlines.

How can I pay my application fee?

Students applying for housing by mail may send a check (no starter checks) or money order(made payable to Fort Valley State University); Students may pay online using a Visa/MasterCard or Pay by Check by logging into their banner web account. Students may pay for their housing in the Cashier’s Office of the C.V. Troup Administration Building using cash, check, money order, or Visa/MasterCard. Students cannot pay the application fee by phone. For further information refer to the Cashier’s Office web link.

How will I know when my housing application & fee has been received?

Students will receive a confirmation letter from the Office of Residential Life 7 to 10 days of receiving a complete housing application; students can also log into their banner web account to check for processing of the application fee if sent by mail.

What is a complete application?

A housing application is not complete until you have filled it out in its entirely and correctly and have paid the housing application fee.

When and how will I be notified about my housing assignment?

Housing information and room assignments will be mailed to the students. July 1st of each year is the Priority Deadline for submitting housing applications.

How do I request a roommate?

To request a roommate, students must complete the roommate section of the housing application. Please read all guidelines to roommate requests.

How and when can I request a room change?

After the first day of classes, students must see the Housing Assignment Coordinator and their RLC to change room assignments. There is a fee to change room assignments.

How do I get on the waiting list for Wildcat Commons?

Once you apply for housing & pay your non-refundable housing application fee you’re automatically on the waiting list for Wildcat Commons. The waiting list will go in order of receipt number and the Housing Assignment Coordinator will contact you if space becomes available.

Do FVSU have Family or Off Campus Housing?

No, FVSU does not provide housing Family or Off Campus Housing.

What if I have a housing request based on medical needs?

Students with medical conditions will need to state it on the housing application, attach documentation, and contact the Center for Retention Services.

Do the halls remain open during holidays and breaks?

The Residence Halls are closed doing holidays and breaks such as (Fall/Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring Break).

How do I insure my personal belongings?

Residential Life provides informational pamphlets on Theft, Fire, Natural Disasters & Accidental Damage Insurance to students. Pamphlets are located in Wildcat Commons Clubhouse or

What if I don’t get along with my roommate?

If you are having trouble with your roommate, you will need to speak with your RLC to solve the problem.

How do I terminate my Housing Lease Agreement?

To cancel your housing lease agreement, please complete the housing cancellation form and return it to the Office of Residential Life. Please read your lease agreement for cancellation policy and fees.

What happens if I lose my key?

If you lose your key, you will need to see Key Personnel in Wildcat Commons Clubhouse as soon as possible to cancel your key and purchase another key.

I’ve lost or damaged my Student ID card. How do I get a replacement?

Replacement ID cards are issued in Auxiliary Service for a fee of $25 dollars.

Who do I contact to change my personal information such as address & phone numbers?

Students can log into their banner web account to change or update any personal information or contact the Registrar’s Office at 478-825-6282.

Are pets allowed in the residence halls?

No pets are allowed in the Residence Halls at any time.

Are there laundry facilities on campus?

Yes, there are laundry facilities located in each Residence Hall.

Does FVSU have maintenance and custodial services?

Yes, in order to request maintenance work students must submit a Work Order Form to the RLC of their building; the custodial staff is responsible for cleaning the Residence Halls but not the student’s room. All students must clean their own room.

If I become sick and need a doctor what should I do?

The University provides health services to students during regular business hours (M-F, 8a-5p).
During non-operational hours or official holidays:
On campus students: Contact your Resident Assistant or the on-duty Residence Life Staff Member.
All Others Students: Contact Campus Safety at 825-6211 or the Emergency Room at Peach Regional Medical Center at 825-8691.
*We recommend that you check with your health insurance provider to ensure that your health insurance is accepted at the medical facility you choose to visit otherwise you may be required to pay up front. If you have questions refer to the Health Services web link or contact Health Services Center at 478-825-6278.

Who do I contact about New Student Orientation?

For questions about Orientation, Academic Advising/Counseling, and Testing, please visit the Orientation web link or contact the Center for Retention Services (478-822-1070).

How do I schedule a tour of the campus?

To schedule a tour of the University, refer to the Office of Admissions/Recruitment web link or contact the office at (478-825-6203/6307). Campus tours are conducted Monday through Thursday at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. All other dates and times must be arranged on a case-by-case basis with the Admissions Office tour coordinator. The tours last about one hour.

Where Do I Receive My Mail?

Students requesting postal service will need to visit the Postal Service web link or contact the FVSU Postal Office (478-825-6311) in the Lottie B. Lyons Student Center Monday-Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Should I Bring My Car? How Do I Obtain A Parking Permit?

New students are allowed to bring their car, however, parking space on campus is extremely limited, requires a parking permit, and is strictly enforced. For more information about campus parking permits contact FVSU Campus Safety 478-825-6211.

How Do I Get Around Campus, To Town and Elsewhere?

FVSU has Wildcat Transportation available to faculty, staff, & students. Four spacious 24-passenger buses will take riders to downtown destinations and Harvey’s Supermarket – at no cost. An employee or student identification card is required. The shuttle service runs every thirty minutes from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

The buses have several pick up locations:

  • Stadium Parking Lot 8:15 a.m.
  • Wildcat Commons Clubhouse 8:20 a.m.
  • Carnegie Hall 8:25 a.m.
  • Evans Building 8:30 a.m.
  • Harvey’s Supermarket 8:38 a.m.
  • Lottie Lyons Student Center 8:45 a.m.

For more information about shuttle services, contact auxiliary services at 478-825-6532.