County Extension Agent - Lowndes County
The County Extension Agent for Lowndes County will be based in Valdosta, Georgia. Lowndes County is one of the major row crop and truck crop areas of the state and has a client-base that is diverse and differs in farm size, enterprise focus, farmer experience, and historical access to support services.
- Provide an effective education program in the agricultural and natural resources sector including food, fiber and timber resources.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate an effective outcome and impact-based program in support of local and regional issues in production, marketing, and product utilization.
- Provide effective reporting, program marketing, and interpreting results of program efforts.
- Work with small and limited-resource farmers in identifying and working through the details in obtaining operating capital and financial support.
- Develop or work within existing stakeholder-based committees providing direction for local Extension programs.
- Work with local agribusiness and community-based organizations to enhance their effectiveness and effectively link them with Extension education.
- Work cooperatively with other Lowndes County Extension staff.
- Perform other job-related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Preferred fields of study include areas of agriculture or natural resources, or other fields closely related to the scope of work responsibilities.
- Demonstrated professional and technical competencies with two or more commodities including row crops, vegetables and produce, livestock such as cattle, sheep, swine or goats, water conservation, quality and irrigation, resource management and economics.
- Ability to communicate effectively and ability to integrate technology information, knowledge, and skills in applying solutions to the issues identified by county stakeholders.
- Computer word processing and data management skills.
- Must have a strong service ethic. Be willing to work the necessary time to fulfill job responsibilities including some evenings and weekends.
- Be willing to work with all audiences, especially traditionally under-served and (or) limited-resource farmers and land owners.
- Understand or be willing to learn about the Land Grant University system and the role of county Extension agents in the Cooperative federal, state, local structure.
- Certain licenses or certification may be required to perform certain duties or services in a competent and legal manner.
- Exhibit a willingness to engage and participate in professional development programs to develop or enhance required competencies as a career professional.
- Be willing to pleasantly and professionally complete other occasional duties as assigned, especially in regard to youth development, and food and nutrition.
Interested persons should submit an FVSU employment application, letter of interest, resume, official transcript(s), three (3) professional reference letters and a background investigation consent form to:
Office of Human Resources
Fort Valley State University
1005 State University Drive
Fort Valley, GA 31030-4313