Under the direction of the Facilities/Transportation Supervisor, performs a variety of duties involved in the care, maintenance and cleaning of assigned buildings and facilities
Perform routine custodial duties necessary to keep assigned buildings and facilities clean and in a desirable condition.
• Clean and sanitize restroom facilities and fixtures including mirrors, sinks, urinals, toilets and partitions; replenish supplies in restrooms including filling soap and towel dispensers.
• Clean classrooms, offices, meeting rooms, hallways, storage rooms and other areas as assigned. Sweep, vacuum, mop, wax strip and polish floors; vacuum and shampoo mirrors and walls. Clean desks and counter tops. Empty, clean and sanitize waste receptacles. Clean light fixtures; replace lights, bulbs, and fluorescent tubes as necessary.
• Identify and report building maintenance needs in assigned buildings and facilities. Perform building maintenance duties, such as, stopping minor leaks, unclogging drains, tightening or replacing screws and nails, replacing locks on gates. Repair tricycles, wagons, and other wheeled toys. Sand and paint children’s storage shelves, woodwork, and other Head Start inventory according to established procedures and deliver to appropriate location. Move and/or rearrange furniture as directed.
• Maintain a clean, safe, healthy environment throughout the center at all times.
• Maintain a calm, soft voice and positive attitude at all times.
• Deliver classroom supplies and materials. Unlock and lock doors; turn off alarms; turn on lights and outside code pads; test smoke alarms twice annually, replace batteries as needed; inspect fire extinguishers, recharge annually.
• Perform work in adherence to safe work practices and procedures and in compliance with applicable standards.
• Use approved chemicals safely and according to directions on the containers.
• Requisition supplies according to Fort Valley State University Head Start procedures.
• Maintain an adequate quantity of cleaning supplies.
• Maintains a current MSDS manual for chemicals used in the center.
• Safeguards all equipment and supplies, and accounts for missing or damaged items.
• Cleans classroom or hall immediately in the event of emergency spills or accidents.
• Buffs floors as indicated on the written schedule.
• Disinfects classroom furniture as needed to remove food and bacteria.
• Unstops clogged sinks, drains, or toilets as needed.
• Reports needs for major repairs to the Facilities/Transportation Manager.
• Cleans fluorescent light fixtures periodically.
• Picks up trash daily on the grounds.
• Rakes leaves and straw on grounds as needed.
• Complete tasks according to established timelines and written work schedule.
• Clean, disinfect, and deodorize all bathrooms at least once daily and check bathrooms throughout the day for cleanliness.
• Clean or change air-conditioning and/or heating filters monthly.
• Clean furniture, windowsills, and fixtures weekly or as needed.
• Checks outdoor learning daily for safety hazards or trash.
• Replenishes toilet paper, hand soap, paper towels, and paper drinking cups as needed.
• Collects and removes all trash from trashcans daily and replace liners.
• Removes all food waste and paper goods immediately after each meal in the classrooms.
• Clean up spills in classroom after each meal.
• Replaces all burned out light bulbs or fluorescent tubes as needed.
• Maintain a clean and organized work/area custodial closet at all times.
• Sweep or vacuum floors in classroom, bathrooms, halls, offices and kitchen as indicated.
• Mop all floors daily at the appropriate times.
• Clean walls in the classroom, meeting rooms, offices, and halls as indicated.
• Clean all windows as indicated on the work schedule.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, parents, and children.
• Make minor repairs and maintain fixtures and equipment in good, safe, working order.
• Make minor repairs to buildings, fixtures, tables, chairs, toys, tricycles, and playground equipment.
• Prepares requisitions and informs Facilities/Transportation Manager when additional facility maintenance or repairs are needed.
• Assure that all cleaning supplies, chemicals, tools, and dangerous items are kept out of the reach of children.
• Secure supplies in locked cabinet/storage when not in use.
• Correctly label all cleaning supplies.
• High school diploma or recognized equivalent
• Valid Georgia’s driver’s license.
• A minimum of one year of experience in custodial care of offices or buildings
• Satisfactory results from pre-employment physical required
• Knowledge of proper methods, techniques, materials, tools and equipment used in modern custodial work; proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies; appropriate safety precautions and procedures; proper lifting techniques
• Ability to work extended hours when needed
Interested persons should submit an FVSU employment application, letter of interest, resume, official transcript(s), three (3) professional reference letters and a background investigation consent form to:
Office of Human Resources
Fort Valley State University
1005 State University Drive
Fort Valley, GA 31030-4313