Director - Marketing and Communications
The Director of Marketing and Communications is a full-time 12-month professional executive staff position responsible for planning, directing, and assisting in the design, production and implementation of all advertising, marketing and public relations activities. The Director will represent and speak on behalf of the Fort Valley State University (FVSU) in interviews, public forums, and press conferences and direct responses to all inquiries from outside the organization and serve as the liaison between FVSU and all media.
The Director will ensure that the Department of Marketing and Communications supports a range of strategic initiatives, including student recruitment, fundraising, alumni relations, faculty research, press engagement and professional studies programs. The Director must serve as a champion of the university’s vision and mission.
• Plan and oversee design and production of all marketing, public relations and advertising materials.
• Work with administrators, directors, faculty and staff in identifying and packaging the departments' and university’s marketable assets.
• Keep abreast with and maintain organization's compliance with all public statutes, laws, and policies related to intellectual property, copyright, and trademarks.
• Develop rapport with the media and establish a mutual understanding of the institution's function and mission.
• Inform the public of the university’s innovative programs, positive developments, employee promotions, personal achievements, retirements, and other goodwill information.
• Respond to requests for information from the media or designate another appropriate spokesperson or information source.
• Study the university’s strategic plan, goals and objectives, promotional policies, and needs of the university to develop the public relations strategies and recruitment endeavors.
• Assist with development of university-wide admission, retention, recruitment, orientation materials, and other such endeavors
• Develop communication plans and policies related to the public relations department.
• Oversee the development of other in-house promotional materials as directed.
• Prepare and deliver speeches to further public relations objectives.
• Prepare marketing media and acquire advertising space and time as required to promote the university.
• Oversee development and production of the videos.
• Oversee, develop, plan, and maintain the university’s website and social media efforts.
• Plan and conduct market and public opinion research to test mechanisms and determine potential for marketing success, communicating results to administration.
• Assist in the development and fundraising for the FVSU Foundation, Inc.
• Secure and direct contractual services as necessary.
• Research and draft correspondence and media communications requested by the President.
• Perform other job-related duties as directed.
• Bachelor's degree required, advanced degree preferred
• 10 years of executive marketing and communications experience
• Extraordinary communication skills
• Proven track record of managing a comprehensive marketing and communications department (public and media relations, publications, advertising, website development, social media, enrollment marketing and electronic communications)
• Open and achievement-oriented with experience in supporting and engaging key leaders and stakeholders.
• Collegial, team-building style with a demonstrated ability to motivate staff and to cultivate productive, collaborative relationships with students, faculty, staff, board members, and alumni
• Ability to execute a creative and goal-oriented marketing and communications strategy
• Ability to create a professional work environment that rewards individual and collective success, builds confidence, and promotes diversity
Interested persons should submit an FVSU employment application, letter of application, resume, official transcript(s), three (3) professional reference letters and a background investigation consent form to:
Office of Human Resources
Fort Valley State University
1005 State University Drive
Fort Valley, GA 31030-4313