Course Description –
Students will acquire basic principles and concepts of biology with a particular emphasis on structure, function, and interactions of both prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells. Ultimately, students will gain an appreciation for the molecules that are important to life including proteins, carbohydrates, nucleic acids, and lipids along with an understanding of basic genetics.
Required Course Resources –
- Freeman, Scott, Biological Science. 5th Ed. Publisher: Pearson/Benjamin Cummings.
- Mastering Biology Access for Freeman, Scott, Biological Science. 5th Ed.
- Laboratory Kit from LabPaq (LP-0361-BK-01) Required for Lab
- Microscope 600X (recommended) or Pocket Microscope Required for Lab
- Access to Microsoft Office : Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Adobe Acrobat PDF
Course Learning Outcomes –
- Understand diversity and distribution of organisms
- Understand chemical and physical requirements of living systems
- Analyze and interpret data presented in tables, charts, or graphs
- Use technology as a means of gathering, interpreting, and communicating scientific information.