Course Description –
This course is designed to introduce students to the professional & technical writing and communicative demands they will encounter in the professions. The students will engage in the application of research and professional writing skills and techniques in such tasks as writing resumes, memos, proposals, technical reports, technical manuals, etc.
Required Course Resources –
- Markel, Mike. Technical Communication, 10th Edition. New York: Bedford/St. Martin’s, Inc., 2012.
Course Learning Outcomes –
- As a result of successfully completing this course, students should be able to do the following:
- Review and select data and information according to needs of an audience (readers, employers,peers).
- Produce reports and correspondence using selected data and information according to field-appropriate formats.
- Employ effective, clear, emphatic writing style.
- Formulate accurately written statements and assessments of data and information.
Major Outcomes –
- As a result of completing this course, a student should have achieved the following general education and major outcomes:
- The student will organize and prepare a technical report.
- The student will use effective research skills.
- The student will produce documents that use the appropriate forms of business and professional communication.