Course Description –
This course will familiarize students with different environmental, personal, socioeconomic, and psychological characteristics of diverse client groups. It will also assist students with understanding the counseling concerns of minorities and disabilities.
Required Course Resources –
McAuliffe, G., & Associates. (2013). Culturally Alert Counseling: A Comprehensive Introduction. (2nd ed.). Los Angeles, CA: Sage Publishers.
Thomas, A. J. & Schwarzbaum, S. E. ( 2011). Culture & Identity: Life Stories for Counselors and Therapists. (2nd ed.). Los Angeles, CA: Sage Publishers.
Course Learning Objectives –
- Define culture, cultural diversity, multiculturalism, cultural accommodation, and acculturation.
- Describe personal cultural beliefs, values, and biases that may affect the counseling process.
- Discuss the beliefs, values, behaviors, customs, and traditions of cultures of the major ethnic and social grouping.
- Discuss how prejudice, discrimination, and stereotyping can impact individuals of diverse populations.
- Apply multicultural counseling skills and competency requirements when working with people diverse backgrounds.