Vacancy Number: 1013
Job Summary: This is responsible police work at the corporal level at the university. Work involves professional response to the need for enforcing laws and university regulations. Work also involves preventing, investigation, detecting crimes and the apprehension of criminals. Work is performed in accordance with department rules and regulations. Employee allocated to this class of work must be assigned to a specialized function which requires knowledge and abilities usually acquired through experience on the force. Guidance and direction is provided to subordinate law enforcement personnel. Work requires dedication to public service often made difficult by emotional or physical stress of events. Work is reviewed through conferences, written reports, inspections and observation of results obtained.
This position reports to the Chief of Police or his designee.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Patrol a designated area of campus to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of crimes and to enforce traffic regulations; take charge of and guide the work of subordinate law enforcement personnel in various situations until relieved by superior officer; answer calls and complaints involving fire, traffic or other accidents, robberies, and other misdemeanors and felonies and take necessary police action.
- Projects positive image of the university and Campus Police and Safety Department by maintaining a pleasant and professional demeanor with students, employees, and visitors
- Fills in as the shift supervisor in the absence of a Sergeant or higher ranking supervisor
- Patrols campus grounds and buildings, checking doors, windows, and gates to ensure that they are secured. In addition, watches for any signs of fire or safety hazards
- Monitors and responds to fire alarms, and checks fire extinguishers
- Contributes to overall safety and security of students and employees by maintaining a uniformed presence when needed
- Gives directions, renders assistance, and provides information as requested
- Renders motorist services in the form of jump-starts, assisting in tire changes, and the calling of wreckers as requested
- Responds to incidents requiring documentation after hours, including but not limited to: stuck elevators, minor medical calls, maintenance emergencies, and fire alarms
- Provides walking escorts for any person who requests one from building to building, or to and from parking lots
- Responds to low-risk calls for service to assess scene and determine the need for police, fire, or EMS response
- Responds to maintenance emergencies (plumbing, power outage, etc.) after hours to document incident and protect university property until Plant Operations responds
- Locks/unlocks doors as needed on a regular schedule, and as requested by community members
- Supervises subordinate FVSU police officers as directed
- Enforces city and university regulations (parking, smoking, etc.)
- Makes written reports regarding suspicious activity, safety hazards, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High School Education or GED required
- Valid Georgia driver’s license and meet driving record criteria established by the Department
- Possess a minimum a 1 year experience as a certified officer
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent decision-making skills and the ability to think and act quickly
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent
- Experience working on a college campus
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of standard police practices and techniques.
- Ability to work in conjunction with the community in the furtherance of institutional goals, preferably in an educational environment
- Ability to exercise self-restraint and maintain composure under pressure or adverse conditions required.
- Ability to operate with limited supervision and maintain efficient, self-directed job functions necessary.
- Ability to analyze the situations quickly and objectively, and on own initiative, to determine proper course of action to be taken
- Skilled in conflict resolution and avoidance, and have exemplary public relations skills
- Work is performed primarily out-of-doors, and may require exposure to extreme weather conditions
- Has potential for exposure to potentially dangerous interpersonal situations, necessitating the observance of appropriate safety precautions
- Requires weekend, holiday, and shift work
- Must fully understand the role of a non-sworn guard in a support role to the FVSU police unit and know when to summon police assistance or fire/EMS help
- Job may be physically demanding at times and may require physical exertion including bending, reaching, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, etc.
- Requires long periods of walking, standing, and sitting
- Requires the ability to defend oneself or a member of the community in exigent circumstances
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested persons MUST submit a complete application packet which includes:
- FVSU Application (include Job Title and Job Number)
- Cover Letter (include Job Title and Job Number)
- Unofficial Transcript(s) – Diploma copies are not accepted in lieu of transcripts
- List of three (3) Professional References including their contact information
Complete application packets should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the Job Title and Job Number in the subject line. Application packets that do not contain ALL required information will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.