University System of Georgia Chancellor Hank Huckaby, in consultation with Board of Regents Chairman Dink NeSmith, announced March 8, 2013, the formation of the two committees required by regents’ policy to conduct a national search to replace Fort Valley State University President Dr. Larry Rivers, who will step down in June 2013. (Read USG release announcing Dr. Rivers’ resignation.)
The Special Regents’ Search Committee will be chaired by Regent Larry Ellis and include regents Kessel Stelling, George Hooks, Tommy Hopkins and Larry Walker. NeSmith will serve as an ex-officio member of this committee.
The search and screening of candidates is the responsibility of a 12-member Presidential Search and Screen Committee, whose members are appointed by Huckaby and NeSmith. Members of the Presidential Search and Screen Committee are as follows:
- Dr. Meigan Fields, Professor, Department of Political Science and chair, Campus Search Committee
- Juone Brown, Associate Professor, Department of Fine Arts, Humanities & Mass Communications
- Bryant Culpepper, Attorney, James-Bates-Brannan-Groover, LLP
- Bobby Dickey, Chair, Department of Fine Arts, Humanities and Mass Communications
- Dr. John Dubriel, Professor, Mathematics and Computer Science
- Denise Eady, Special Assistant to President for Compliance/AAEO/Title IX
- Fred Hammonds, 2012-13 President, Student Government Association
- Dr. Lawrence Marable, President, FVSU National Alumni Association, Inc.
- Dr. Keith L. McRae, Alumnus and Foundation Board Member
- Dr. Komanduri S. Murty, President, FVSU Faculty Senate
- Calvin Smyre, Chair, FVSU Foundation, Inc.
- Terrence Wolfolk, President FVSU Staff Council
The campus-based committee was charged with its responsibilities in a meeting held Wed., March 27 on the FVSU campus. The executive search firm of Academic Search, Washington D.C., has been engaged to assist the search committee.
At the conclusion of its work, the campus committee will forward the credentials of three to five unranked candidates to the Regents’ Search Committee. The Regents’ Search Committee is responsible for recommending finalists to Huckaby, who will make a recommendation to the full Board of Regents.
For more information, contact PSSC chair, Dr. Meigan Fields, at (478) 825-6230 or (478) 825-6231.