Welcome to Fort Valley State University’s Staff Council web page. This page represents an entity that advocates for staff by seeking out and responding to their ideas and concerns, representing them to the University’s administration, and keeping them informed of University initiatives. Our Council was formed in Spring 2004 as a collaborative effort between the University System of Georgia and Fort Valley State University.
Our Staff Council of 23 members serves as a collective voice for those who work in non-academic employee roles. We support a variety of campus activities and initiatives with the goal of improving the quality of life, morale, and effectiveness of the university’s most dedicated resource, our staff.
There are multiple ways to be involved with Staff Council, and to learn how Staff Council is working for you.
- Attend our monthly Staff Council meetings. They are open meetings held the first Friday of each month in the Pettigrew Center. We welcome and encourage you to attend.
- Seek membership in one of our five (5) standing committees. Our committees are: Bylaws & Elections, Benefits, Communications, Events Planning, and Staff Development. You do not have to be an elected member to work and serve on our committees.
- Learn who your Staff Council representative is and contact them at any time with your questions or concerns. Our officers are also available to address your questions and concerns.
- Familiarize yourself with our web page and utilize it to gain access to our bylaws, in addition to reviewing our meeting minutes, agendas, and upcoming events.
- Read the e-mails from our Communications Committee to keep you informed of upcoming meetings, events, and issues.
- Consider running for office and representing your department on the Council. The nomination process starts in May of each year, and elections are held in June.
On behalf of the entire University community, I thank the university Staff Council for representing approximately 424 staff members at our illustrious institution. Through their leadership and constructive recommendations we remain committed to promoting a positive and collaborative work environment, along with improving the quality of our campus community. I look forward to working with, and learning from, you and the University’s elected staff representatives.
Chair, Staff Council