Online Student Complaints and Appeals

  • Last Name, First Name
  • (e.g. Bachelor of Arts in Geography)

This page was developed to assist current and prospective students of Fort Valley State University in submitting complaints and appeals and to direct them to the most effective venue for accurate information and resolution.

Complaint contacts by state

State Agency Name Link to and/or Info. about Complaint Process
Alabama Alabama Commission on Higher Education Office of Institutional Effectiveness and Planning Complaints for out of state institutions are referred to the licensing agency (ADPE) for response. For in-state institutions, contacts are posted to the ACHE website.
Alabama Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education Office of Private School Licensing Division Web link at
Alaska Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education Office of Private School Licensing Division PDF Document at
Arizona Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education Web link at
Arkansas Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board Web link at
Arkansas Arkansas State Board of Private Career Education If a student believes that their rights have been violated, we always suggest they first, seek to resolve the problem by following the schools complaint process. Next, meet with the School Administrator and discuss their concerns with him/her. If the problem is not solved at the school level, the student may then contact us at (501) 683-8000.
California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education Web link at
Colorado Colorado Commission on Higher Education Web link at
Colorado Colorado Department of Higher Education, Division of Private Occupational Schools Web link at
Connecticut The Office of Financial and Academic Affairs for Higher Education PDF Document at
Delaware Delaware Department of Education currently under development
District of Columbia Education Licensure Commission Web link
Florida Commission for Independent Education, Florida Department of Education Web link at
Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission no survey completed
Hawaii Hawaii Department of Education None Listed
Idaho Idaho Board of Education Complaint process described in Admin Rule (July 1, 2011) section 500. Forms and instructions available upon request from the State Coordinator for Private Colleges & Proprietary Schools. Office of the (Idaho) State Board of Education.
Illinois Illinois State Board of Education Unavailable
Illinois Illinois Board of Higher Education Institutional Complaint Hotline: (217) 557-7359 The Board receives general information email at Students seeking to register a complaint about an institution are required to submit the complaint in writing. Complaint processing as relates to maintenance of institutional approvals is described in 23 Illinois Administrative Rules Sections 1030.70 and 1030.80.
Indiana Indiana Commission on Proprietary Education Web link
Iowa Iowa College Student Aid Commission Web link
Kansas Kansas Board of Regents
Kentucky Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education Web link at
Kentucky Kentucky State Board for Proprietary Education no survey completed
Louisiana Louisiana Board of Regents None Listed
Maine Maine Department of Education, Office of Higher Education Services Please see: 05-071- DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION, Chapter 147. 9. Complaints: Procession of Complaints
Maryland Maryland Higher Education Commission None Listed
Massachusetts Massachusetts Board of Higher Education Web link at
Michigan Michigan Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth Web link at
Minnesota Minnesota Office of Higher Education Web link at
Mississippi Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation Currently under review and will be published on the web site at when completed.
Mississippi Commission on Proprietary School and College Registration Complaints must be submitted in writing to the commission by a person with standing. The letter should be addressed to Marilyn Gardner, Proprietary Schools Specialist, Commission on Proprietary School and College Registration, Phone: 601-432-6340, email:
Missouri Missouri Department of Higher Education PDF Document at
Montana Montana University System, Montana Board of Regents Currently under development
Nebraska NE Dept. of Education, Private Postsecondary Career Schools Unavailable
Nebraska Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education (See Section 18 under )
Nevada Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education Web link at
New Hampshire New Hampshire Postsecondary Education Commission Web link at
New Jersey New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development no survey completed
New Jersey New Jersey Department of Education no survey completed
New Mexico New Mexico Higher Education Department
New York Office of College and University Evaluation no survey completed
New York Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision, New York State Education Department All written complaints must be investigated. Students are asked to complete a Student Complaint Form (, and each complaint is assigned to a specific investigator.
North Carolina The University of North Carolina Board of Governors If the complaint cannot be resolved after exhausting the institution’s grievance procedure, the individual may file a complaint with the following office: Post- Secondary Education Complaints, c/o Assistant Director of Licensure and Workforce Studies, University of North Carolina General Administration. 910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, telephone (919) 962-4558, The individual may contact UNC General Administration for further details.
North Carolina NC CC System, Office of Proprietary School Services
North Dakota North Dakota State Board for Career and Technical Education Currently complaints are filed with CTE and are then handed to the Attorney General. That policy is currently under review and revision.
Ohio The Ohio Board of Regents The agency does receive student complaints. Students are encouraged to try to resolve their issue through their institution’s formal grievance procedures. If the student’s issue is not resolved through this process, the agency may then contact the institution on the student’s behalf and request that institution work with the student to resolve the issue. If the grievance involves an issue that violates the agency’s standards for authorization, the agency would contact the institution to determine the severity of the issue and what agency action would be taken.
Ohio Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools Web link at
Oklahoma Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education Current and prospective student complaints are handled through OSRHE Academic Affairs Office by reviewing the circumstances of the complaint and providing the individual with contact information for the most appropriate campus office with the authority to resolve the complaint. If the individual has exhausted the process for review and appeal at the institution and believe the complaint is unresolved, OSRHE staff requests permission to contact the institution on their behalf to identify any possible resolution. OSRHE staff remains in contact with the student to determine if their issue has been resolved or adequately addressed.
Oklahoma Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education no survey completed
Oklahoma The Oklahoma Board of Private Schools no survey completed
Oregon Office of Degree Authorization Yes. All complaints about schools under our regulatory jurisdiction or an exempt status approved by this office are handled by ODA staff. Complaints about exempt schools are referred to the Attorney General’s office.
Oregon Department of Education – Private and Career Schools Office Web link at
Pennsylvania Department of Education Web link
Puerto Rico Puerto Rico Council on Education For IHEs’: Chapter XIII – Unavailable
For other non-degree voc/tech and K-12: – Article 3.4 – Unavailable
Rhode Island Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education RIBGHE is developing a formal complaint process for publics and independents.
South Carolina South Carolina Commission on Higher Education
South Dakota South Dakota Board of Regents The South Dakota Attorney General accepts consumer complaints of various sorts. Please see web site
Tennessee Tennessee Higher Education Commission RTF Document at
Texas Texas Workforce Commission Currently under review
Texas Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Web link
Utah Utah Division of Consumer Protection Web link at
Vermont Vermont State Board of Education Unavailable
Virginia Private & Out-of-State Postsecondary Education, State Council of Higher Education for Virginia PDF Document at
Washington Washington Higher Education Coordinating Board Students may submit a formal complaint to the HECB, provided it is against an institution authorized by the HECB and is within one year of the last date of attendance.
Washington Washington Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board Web link at
West Virginia West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission Student complaints are addressed in Section 14 of Series 20 –PDF Document at
West Virginia West Virginia Council for Community & Technical College Education Degree granting institutions: Student complaints are not addressed in Series 20 at this time. Business, Occupational or trade Schools: Student complaints can be found in Section 13 of Series 35 or at (website unavailable)
Wisconsin Wisconsin Educational Approval Board Web link at
Wyoming Wyoming Department of Education None Listed

Complaint contacts by U.S. territory

State Agency Name Link to and/or Info. about Complaint Process
American Samoa Board of Higher Education None listed
Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands Commissioner of Education no survey completed
Federated States of Micronesia Department of Education no survey completed
Guam Board of Regents no survey completed
Republic of the Marshall Islands Scholarship Grant and Loan Board no survey completed
Republic of Palau Bureau of Education None listed
U.S. Virgin Islands U.S. Virgin Islands None listed

Hide Buttons
Translate »