CAFST – Family and Consumer Sciences
Office of Academic Affairs
In the absence of the teacher or teacher’s assistant, the substitute teacher will assume their responsibilities and handle the day-to-day learning experiences in the classroom and demonstrate confidence in teaching and knowledge of infant and early childcare practice.
• Serve as the teacher in the absence of the regular teacher
• Provide guidance in the absence of the group teacher
• Assist in executing developmentally appropriate activities for children in the classroom
• Demonstrate confidence in teaching and knowledge of infants and early care practice
• Participate as a team member in the planning and execution of daily activities
• Model appropriate behaviors for student participants and observers in the center
• Participate as needed with meal service and cleaning
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Associates degree in Early Childhood, Infant & Child Development, Early care & Learning or related field OR a High School Diploma/GED with a Child Development Associate (CDA)
• Six (6) months experience working with children with diverse needs in a daycare center base program
• Pediatric First Aid/CPR credential (obtain prior to end of probationary period)
• Good oral/written communication skills, flexibility and team work
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA’s):
• Knowledge of infant and child development principles and practices
• Knowledge of effective child guidance practices and principles
• Ability to successfully pass a drug screening and background check
• Ability to serve as a floater between infant, toddler and preschool classrooms.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules and procedures manuals.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Experience working with children birth to four years of age
• Current Pediatric First Aid/CPR credential
Interested persons should submit a complete application packet which includes:
- FVSU Application (include Job Title and Job Number)
- Cover Letter (include Job Title and Job Number)
- Unofficial Transcript(s) – Diploma copies are not accepted in lieu of transcripts
- List of three (3) Professional References including their contact information
Complete application packets should be emailed to email@example.com, with the Job Title and Job Number in the subject line. Application packets that do not contain ALL required information will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
• Must have reliable transportation to travel to work
• Must be able to report to work at 7:15 to 5:15; Work hours will vary
• Must be able to work indoors as well as transition the classroom outdoors
• Possible exposure to communicable diseases
• Regularly required to sit, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear; lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
• Frequently required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
• Occasionally lift 20 pounds overhead and 40 pounds from waist to shoulder
• Specific vision abilities required include close, distant color visions, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
• Noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate