Transient Student Steps

Students that plan on enrolling in courses at another institution other than Fort Valley State University must follow the steps below to ensure that their financial aid funds will be available for the term they wish to be a transient student. A student wishing to attend another institution other than FVSU must have minimum of a 2.0 GPA in order to be considered for transient status:

  1. Complete – Transient Permission Form – FVSU Registrar’s Office
  2. Apply for Admission at Host Institution
  3. Complete the financial aid process at FVSU. (For Summer financial, aid you must also complete the online Summer Financial Aid application.)
  4. Register for courses at Host Institution
  5. Pay all fees due at Host Institution
  6. HOPE eligible students will pay any balance due that the HOPE scholarship did not pay
  7. Request a Consortium Agreement to be faxed to the Host Institution (A Consortium Agreement is a form that we send to the Host Institution for verification of hours enrolled at Host Institution). DO NOT submit the form until you have registered for courses at your Host Institution
  8. Contact the FVSU Office of Financial Aid at (478) 825-6363 one week after you have registered for your course(s) to be sure the Host Institution responded to FVSU Office of Financial Aid request
  9. Check with FVSU Office of Financial Aid after one week to be sure Host Institution responded to FVSU Office of Financial Aid
  10. The payment of FVSU financial aid will be disbursed to the student upon the completion of the courses.
  11. Provide the proof of payment toward courses from the host institution with proof of completed course work.


Pell recipients must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 undergraduate semester hours. Your Pell Grant award in BANNER is calculated at full-time enrollment (12 hrs). Your Pell Grant will be prorated according to the hours of enrollment. Student’s that are awarded loan funds must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 undergraduate semester hours. Students must pay any fees that they incur at the Host Institution by the fee payment deadline for the Host Institution. FVSU will not send your financial aid to your Host Institution to pay your tuition and fees.

HOPE Transient:

This form is for FVSU students wishing to be transient to another University System of Georgia institution. If you are a transient student to FVSU, please contact your home institution and request a HOPE transient certificate be sent to FVSU.

Due to HOPE Scholarship regulations, all GPA’s must be reviewed at the end of the semester that you attempt 30, 60 or 90 hours, and also at the end of each spring. If requesting for summer HOPE transient status, once spring grades are posted and you meet the 3.0 or higher GPA requirement, we will forward the HOPE Transient Certificate to the “host” institution indicating that you are HOPE eligible. Because the fees at the “host” institution may be due before grades are available, you may need to plan to pay your fees up front and be reimbursed by the “host” institution. At the end of the semester, you will need to make arrangements with the “host” institution to have your transcript(s) sent back to the FVSU Office of the Registrar.

If you fail to meet the GPA requirement of a 3.0 at one of the check points, you can regain the HOPE Scholarship at the next check point (30, 60 or 90 hours attempted hours) as long as your GPA is 3.0 or higher. For a complete review of the HOPE Scholarship Regulations, visit the Georgia Student Finance Commissions web site

If you have not already done so, contact the FVSU Office of the Registrar at (478) 825-6282, and request the Transient Permission Form. This form is required by the FVSU Office of the Registrar and is necessary to make sure your classes attempted at your “host” institution will be transferred and/or accepted back to FVSU.