Yes, you’re smart and you’re in college, but you’re still human and you’re not immune from personal problems. Everyone is going to have bad days when they need someone to talk to. If your difficulties persist, we are here to help you. Confidential, free counseling is offered to you as a Fort Valley State University student. Professionals are available to assist you.
Note: All services consider your anonymity and are performed at the highest ethical standards. For assistance call478-825-6278 or come by the Heath Services Building.
We provide the following services:
- Individual counseling and therapy have been demonstrated to make a difference when someone is dealing with a personal or relational problem. While the problem might work itself out without counseling, these services could speed the process.
- Group counseling can provide students with a situation in which they can attempt new behaviors and safely receive feedback. A group might have a specific topic, like test anxiety or abusive relationships. Other groups might be support groups to help with a difficult topic like smoking cessation. Still other groups might allow members to decide each week what they would like to explore.
- Crisis support is also available through Valley Behavioral Health Services. Someone will answer the phone 24/7 and provide assistance. In situations where a life-threatening or violent event occurs, psychological first aid should be arranged for everyone involved within 72 hours.
- Consultation is available for faculty, staff and students to investigate problem situations and identify fresh alternatives. Campus leaders might consider consulting with VBHS about changes in their organization.
- Coaching is a combination of counseling and consulting. Our practitioner becomes your personal trainer to advise and hold you accountable for accomplishing your goals, such as breaking a habit, starting a new pattern, or getting along with others better.
- Disaster Relief requires psychological first aid on a massive scale. Arrangements will be established for having a network of trained people to assist FVSU in the event of a natural or man-made disaster.
- Outreach programs will occur each year targeting particular issues. A variety of resources will be made available on campus to inform and support mental. and emotional wellness.