- Parade Entry Deadline: 5 PM, Monday, October 15
- Line-Up: 7:30 AM, Saturday, October 20
- Location: Fort Valley Festival Park, 310 Martin Luther King Jr Dr., Fort Valley, Georgia 31030 (Map)
- Parade: 9 AM, begins on E. Main Street, travels on S. Camellia Blvd. and State University Drive, and ends at the main entrance of the FVSU campus.
- Registration: Complete the online form below or download the application (pdf). Pay registration fee online: www.fvsu.edu/donatetofvsu (Select ROTC Cadet Fund) Registration fees are non-refundable.
Parade Entry Guidelines
All parade entrants are asked to observe the following guidelines, and supply information where requested to assist the Homecoming Parade Committee in proper planning of the event.
Register EARLY – Spaces are limited! Deadline to register without penalty is Monday, October 15 by 5 PM. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE REGISTERED.
- All parade participants must comply with current traffic laws and regulations. For everyone’s safety, we ask all motorized vehicles to refrain from excessive acceleration, wheelies, burnouts, etc.
- Drivers of all units must have a valid driver’s license and insurance and all doors to vehicles must remain closed during the parade. All passengers must wear seatbelts at all times.
- Absolutely no alcoholic beverages or consumption of alcohol is permitted in the parade. Any participant judged to be in possession of or under the influence of alcohol, or any other substance, shall be asked to leave and subject to removal if not done.
- To avoid excessive gaps in the parade route Walking Units will not be allowed to stop and perform along the parade route—only bands and select Walking Units can perform at the President’s Viewing Stand (two-minute limit).
- No bicycles, motorcycles, mopeds, or go-carts allowed.
- Under no circumstances are children allowed to ride outside of vehicles.
- Candy, prizes, novelty items or any other items may not be thrown from the float, but may be distributed by associated walkers upon approval by parade coordinators.
- No loud or profane music allowed during the parade. All dance teams must refrain from lewd and suggestive routines.
- The parade will begin promptly at 9 AM. To facilitate a smooth parade route transition, all units must be in place by 7:30 AM. After 8:30 AM, your spot in the parade will be forfeited and you may not be allowed to participate in the parade.
- We reserve the right to deny an individual/organization’s entry into the parade. SAFETY IS OUR #1 CONCERN!
- All vehicles must have an identifiable sign of their organization on BOTH sides of the vehicle. You have the option to purchase magnetic signs upon registering for the parade. The deadline for ordering signs is Wednesday, October 10, 2018. The cost is $45 for two signs – marching groups with vehicles may use a banner in lieu of signs. (Must provide your own signs after October 10th).
- Only paid and registered participants will be allowed to participate on parade day.
- Individuals/organizations that do not cooperate with these rules/regulations and/or parade officials will be removed from the parade lineup and may not be allowed to participate in future FVSU activities.
Float Participation Information
To qualify as a float, an entry must be skirted, and all objects on it must be completely decorated in sheeting or its equivalent. All floats will be inspected for safety by the FVSU Risk Management, Safety and Transportation Officer prior to the start of the parade—unsafe floats will be denied entry into the parade so please ensure the structure of your float is secure and sturdy. (All standing personnel must have something to hold on to.)
The Parade committee will assign entry numbers, and participants will be given their number prior to the Parade. Final Parade placement is subject to change for best presentation during the Parade.
To clear State University Drive curbs, floats should be limited to 11 feet (width) and a minimum of 8 inches (height).
Floats will be judged based on the following criteria for a total of 100 points:
Originality – 50 points
Theme – 30 points
General Appearance – 20 points
Floats will be judged and prizes awarded as follows:
1st place – $750
2nd Place – $500
1st Place – $300
2nd Place – $200
Winners will be announced during the homecoming game and notified by email.
Late entries will not be judged.
Homecoming Participation Waiver and Release of Liability
The Participant understands that participation activities may require a variety of skills, physical exertion, and exposure to various other parade participants.
The Participant does hereby freely and voluntarily execute this Waiver and Release of Liability in accordance with the following terms:
Waivers and Release. Participant does hereby release, hold harmless and discharge the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia, Fort Valley State University and the City of Fort Valley, their officers, directors, employees, and agents including the Fort Valley State University Homecoming Parade Committee and its members, employees and agents (hereafter, “Releasees”) from any claim, demand or liability that arises from such participation.
Participant understands and acknowledges that this Waiver and Release discharges the Releasees from any liability or claim that the Participant may have against the Releasees with respect to any bodily injury, personal injury, illness, death or property damage that may result from Participant’s participation in said event whether or not caused by the negligence of the Releasees. Participant also understands that, except as otherwise agreed to in writing, the Releasees do not assume any responsibility for or obligation to provide financial assistance or other assistance, including but not limited to medical, health, or disability insurance.
Assumption of Risk. The Participant understands that other entities and individuals will participate in the event and that such other participants may use motorized vehicles, perform with items, animals, and equipment and engage in activities which may result in injury or death. The Participant hereby expressly and specifically assumes the risk of injury or harm associated with and arising from such activities by other participants. Further Participant agrees to hold-harmless and indemnifies Releasees for injuries, damages or demands that arise from Participant’s participation in the event.
Grant of Media Rights. Participant does hereby grant and convey unto the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia for the benefit of Fort Valley State University all rights, title, and interest in any and all photographic images and video or audio recordings made by Fort Valley State University during the event including, but not limited to, any royalties, proceeds, or other benefits derived from such photographs or recordings.
Non-Employment. Participant does hereby confirm and acknowledge that participation is voluntarily and further acknowledges and agrees that Participant is not an employee or agent of Releasees and is entitled to receive no pay, benefits, or other privileges of employment of any kind for participation in the event or for costs incurred for participating in the event, including, but not limited to, salary, travel, parking, transportation, or any other expense whatsoever that is incidental to Participant’s participation.