Samuel B. Cartwright, Ph.D.
- College: College of Arts and Sciences
- Department: Mathematics and Computer Science Department
- Title: Associate Professor
SAMUEL CARTWRIGHT, PH.D.
Fort Valley State University
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
1005 State University Drive
Fort Valley Georgia 31030
PROFESSIONAL PREPARATION AND EDUCATION
Ph.D., Mathematics Education
University of Georgia, 2014
Auburn University, Auburn Alabama, 2000
M.S., Middle School Education
Fort Valley State University, Fort Valley Georgia, 1995
Fort Valley State College, Fort Valley Georgia, 1992
Alternative Learning Georgia Grant (Pre-Calculus and College Algebra), Fall 2016
Received an Alternative Learning Georgia Award from the University System of Georgia for providing No-Direct Cost to students learning materials in both pre-calculus and college algebra Spring 2016.
PROFESSIONAL, UNIVERSITY, AND COMMUNITY SERVICES
- Chaired Mathematics in the Valley Day 2011 to present—on an ongoing basis, I invite talented students in mathematics from high schools in Georgia to both participate in our one day event. The event has two focuses. To expose high school students to career professionals in mathematics or a mathematics related field. It also provides a competitive arena in which high school students compete in a math jeopardy event for prizes.
- On an ongoing basis I serve and a mentor for our statistics students as well as the math club advisor since 2010. I help prepare students to compete in the following: (1) undergraduate math jeopardy competition held at the MAA Southeastern Regional Section Meeting, and (2) undergraduate student research presentations within our region.
- On an ongoing basis, I am working towards providing free or no-cost to students resource materials to all students taking freshman level math courses (College Algebra, Pre-Calculus, and Calculus I, Calculus II and Calculus for Business and Economics are all provided with no-cost to students’ materials).
Dr. Josephine Davis, Professor Emeriti, Perry Georgia, (478) 987-8940
Dr. John Dubriel, Professor, Fort Valley Georgia, (478) 822-9534
Dr. Dawit Aberra, Associate Professor, Warner Robins Georgia, (478) 825-6731
PUBLICATIONS, SCHOLARLY PRESENTATIONS, AND AWARDS
Davis, J., Cartwright, S., Burell, B. (2017). The Effect of Project-Based Learning on Student Performance: An Action Research Study. International Journal for Scholarship of Technology Enhanced Learning, 1(2).
Cartwright, S. (2014). An Examination of Prospective Middle Grades Teachers construction of Linear Equations. https://getd.libs.uga.edu/pdfs/cartwright_samuel_b_201408_phd.pdf
Davis, J. and Cartwright, S. (2012): Department of Mathematics & Computer Science Critical Thinking Exercises in Pre-Calculus. The Center for Enhancing Critical Thinking, Fort Valley State University Press.
Cartwright, S., Burell, B. (2017). The Initial Impact of No-Cost Materials Engagement and Achievement in College. Presented at the Ninety-Sixth Annual Meeting of the MAA Southeastern Section, Mercer University, Macon GA.
Davis, J. and Cartwright, S. (2016). The Effects of No-Cost Textbook and Technology-Based Course Resources on Minority Students’ Engagement and Achievement in College Algebra. Presented at the 23rd National HBCU Faculty Development Network Symposium October 20-22, 2016 New Orleans, LA.