Thomas G. Smith
- College: College of Arts and Sciences
- Department: Business Administration and Economics Academic Department
- Title: Assistant Professor
THOMAS G. SMITH, CPA
More than 40 years of diversified experience and visible achievements as professor, advisor and consultant in accounting. Career highlights include interim head of Business Administration & Economics Department at Fort Valley State University, Controller for a leading fortune 500 company and consulting engagements for small businesses.
Areas of expertise include:
- Financial Accounting
- Financial Analysis
- Financial Forecasting
Masters of Business Administration, Fairleigh Dickinson University, East Rutherford New Jersey
Area of Concentration: Finance, 1977
Bachelor of Science (BS) in Business Administration, South Carolina State University, Orangeburg, South Carolina
Area of Concentration: Accounting 1970
Post Graduate Courses, (18) hours
University of Georgia & Georgia College & State University
Fort Valley State University – Fort Valley, Georgia
1989 – Present
Responsible for teaching both Accounting and Finance courses at the principles and advanced levels. Additional responsibilities include the continuing pursuit of professional development, research, student advisement and service to the department, college, university and community. Courses specifically taught are as follows:
Principles of Accounting
Governmental Not-For Profit
Individual Income Tax
Enhanced student learning has been consistently achieved based upon course embedded assessment results that were incorporated to “close the loop”.
The Clute Institute – 2011 International Academic Conference October 10 – 11 2011, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
- Research Presentation – “Factors Influencing Generation Y African Americans In Their Choice For College Education: An Empirical Case Study of Fort Valley State University Students”
- Proceedings – “Factors Influencing Generation Y African Americans in Their Choice For College Education: An Empirical Case Study of Fort Valley State University Students”
- Journal Publication – Contemporary Issues in Education Research (Volume 5, Number 1, First Quarter 2012, ISSN: 1940-5847)
“Factors Influencing Generation Y African Americans in Their Choice For College Education: An Empirical Case Study of Fort Valley State University Students”
- Active participant in Research Seminars/Workshops conducted by Population Studies Center. (2010)
- Active participant in establishment and implementation of departmental strategic planning, outcomes assessment and accreditation
- Fort Valley State University Foundation Inc. Intermediary Relending Program (IRP).
- Department of Business Administration & Economics Master of Business Administration (MBA) proposal.
- Department of Business Administration & Economics college of Management Proposal.
- Department of Business Administration and Economics Proposal for: “Supervision: Putting your Experience to work” A Supervisory Refresher course for Robins Air Force Base.
- Fort Valley State University Program Collaboration Strategic Allocation Proposal: Regional Doctoral Satellite Program in Business Administration at Fort Valley State University. Co- authored with Professor Walter Milton
- Fort Valley State University National Patterns of Excellence: Developing an Accredited School of Business. Co-authored with Dr. Norma Givens.
- GEICO Non-Traditional Student Initiatives Proposal.
- Served as Interim Head of the Department of Business Administration & Economics during academic years 2001 -2002 and 2010 – 2011. Administratively responsible to the Dean of College of Arts & Sciences for the leadership and direction of the department of Business Administration and Economics including the supervision of 10 full-time teaching and administrative personnel, approximately 400 students dispersed throughout five academic areas, and a budget in excess of $715K. Specific duties included evaluation of faculty teaching performance’ supervision and monitoring of faculty teaching loads and student course loads; supervision of course scheduling; evaluation of outcomes assessment; supervision of recruitment activities and supervision of Business Administration and Economics building with over 30 rooms consisting of classrooms, offices, computer laboratories and other facilities.
- Member of Faculty Senate ( 2009 – 2010)
- Attended IRS (Internal Revenue Service ) Tax Forums ( 2008 -2012)
- Attended Association of Black Accountants (NABA) conferences ( 1998 – 2009
- Served as member of AICPA Minority Initiatives – Diversity committee (2007 – 2008)
- Attended American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) Summer Institutes (1990 – 1998)
- Continuing Education Certificates in Innovative/Critical Thinking (2009)
- Provided leadership and direction to the department in the establishment of a collaborative MBA program with Albany State University
- Provided leadership and direction in the recruitment of the original cohort (12) for the Fort Valley State University and Albany State University collaborative MBA program.
- Attended American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) Summer Faculty Institutes
- Attended Innovative Approaches in Accounting Instruction Seminar at the Hyatt Regency in Atlanta, Sponsored by Southwestern Publishing Company.
- Attended Nissan – HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) Reunion Conference at the Occidental Grand Hotel in Atlanta. I participated as a Nissan Fellow.
- Served as Chairman of Departmental Faculty Recruitment & Development committee ( 2009 – 2010)
- Served on University Grievance Committee (2010)
- Served as member of Faculty Curriculum committee. (2008 – 2010)
- Served as member of Faculty Senate (2009 – 2010)
- Served as member of Faculty Curriculum committee. (2008 – 2010)
- Served as chairman for Business Administration & Economics Pre-tenure, Post tenure and Tenure committees. (2008)
- Served as chairman for Business Administration & Economics Alumni Affairs and Business Outreach committees. (2007)
- Served as chairman for Business & Economics accounting and marketing search committee.
- Served as treasurer for BEEP Steering committee.
- Served as chairman for the university student judiciary committee
- Served as advisor to FVSU National Association of Black Accountants (NABA) student chapter (1998 – 2009)
- Active participant in student recruitment and retention efforts
- Active participant in all departmental and university functions and activities.
- Financial and Tax consultant to small businesses.
Mead Corporation/Rock-Tenn Company – Macon, Georgia
Responsible for the direction and performance of all accounting functions and systems procedures required in the operation of the mill with annual sales of $12m. Provided management with the administrative services necessary for financial control, forecasting and business planning.
Accomplishments: Implemented computerized roll stock inventory system which significantly improved overall inventory controls. Established methods and procedures for developing cost standards on new products.
Johnson & Johnson – New Brunswick, New Jersey
Financial Analyst/Senior Cost Accountant/Marketing Analyst
Provided financial support in the areas of sales, pricing, costing, forecasting, budgeting and profitability for marketing directors and mill managers. Performed financial analysis for new product introduction, capital acquisitions and cost improvement programs.
Accomplishments: Developed guidelines and procedures to assist management in the decision making process regarding new product introductions and new business ventures.
Western Union Telegraph Company – New York City, New York
Supervisor General and Fixed Asset Accounting
Responsible for the preparation and coordination of the production of the general ledger, including the monthly and year-end closing processes of the corporate general ledgers and associated financial statements.
Accomplishments: Implemented a cross training program to provide a needed degree of flexibility within department and overall employee development
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND AWARDS
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) – State of Georgia
- Nissan Fellow
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Georgia Society of CPA’s
- National Association of Black Accountants
- Georgia Accounting Educators
- American Accounting Association (AAA)