Graduate Studies FAQs

What are the requirements for graduate school admission?

FVSU Graduate Studies and graduate programs will “admit” all students who are approved by the Director of Graduate Admissions and the program admissions committees or program heads.

Can I apply for graduate school online?

The official graduate application is online. You can download the application from the FVSU website: all documents must be submitted to the Graduate Studies Office on the main campus in Fort Valley.

How many copies of school transcripts do I need to submit?

Students are required to submit one official transcript from each college and/or university they attended.

International Applicants: Official Graduate Application, $75 fee (non-refundable) a personal check or US money order is accepted but not counter checks, All Official transcripts must be evaluated and verified by a reputable agency, Official Test Scores for TOFEL (500+) or IELTS (6.0+). All international students must have their credentials through verified World Education Services or another outside agency.

What are the admissions deadlines?

If applying to the MS in Biotechnology please submit all official documents by July 1st for Fall or December 31st for Spring.

If you are interested in the MS in School Counselor Education please submit all application materials by April 1st for summer enrollment. New student orientation for School Counselor is held towards the end of April.

Do I have to submit a writing sample to apply for graduate school?

No. A writing sample is not required to apply to graduate school but a writing sample is required in the graduate orientation course FVSU 0500 or within your program of study.

How long is the process of being accepted?

The process of reviewing applications for graduate school can take up to four weeks or less depending on the documents that have been received by the graduate studies office and the program you are applying to. Please try to submit all documents in a timely manner or soon as possible. All documents that are submitted must be original documents and not faxed copies.

If I am not going to live on campus, do I need to complete the immunization form?

The University states that immunization is required for all students. The only information on the certificate of immunization form that is not required is part B. Please see the immunization form.

Do I have to take GRE or MAT before applying to graduate school?

It is recommended that if a student has ample time before applying they should register to take the GRE or MAT, please visit or

Do I have to take both the GRE and MAT?