UPDATE (August 14): New detailed flyer and additional contacts added to the release.
July 25, 2014 – During the Labor Day holiday, Fort Valley State University will host a new festival that will celebrate global and cultural diversity. The campus is holding its inaugural International Cultural Festival and Soccer Exhibition on August 30, 2014, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
“The FVSU International Cultural Festival is part of the university’s global initiative,” said Robert Stephens, FVSU director of development. “We’re promoting cultural diversity by welcoming the community to participate in a celebration of cultural integration. We believe it will foster better relationships among diverse groups, and offer attendees who may have been exposed to celebration of diversity facilities an enriched experience.”
The festival is the brainchild of FVSU President Dr. Ivelaw Lloyd Griffith and it will become an annual event to make Fort Valley State a family destination over the Labor Day holiday weekend from this year.
“I have several objectives in mind for the festival,” Griffith said. “The first is for it to showcase our beautiful campus and our degree, athletics and other programs. The second is for it to highlight some aspects of international culture to synergize with our Global Agenda. Finally, the festival will permit our university to become a holiday destination for family fun while generating some economic activity for the university and the community.
Griffith also expressed gratitude to Austin Thompson of Thompson Consulting, who is serving as one of the lead project managers for planning and festival.
The cultural festival is only a part of the university’s push toward a more aggressive global agenda. This outreach mission started in October 2013 with the creation of its Global Initiatives Council. The university plans to recruit international undergraduate and graduate students, and distinguished faculty. Additionally, the campus plans to strengthen its international faculty collaborations and start study abroad programs.
The soccer exhibition will consist of two teams formed from players within the Atlanta and Middle Georgia areas. In addition to the soccer exhibition, the university will have food, entertainment and music, health screenings and a variety of cultural presentations from the international community.
The cost to attend the event is $2 per person. Children 12 and under and FVSU students with a valid I.D. enter for free. There is no cost for parking.
To purchase tickets, visit FVSU’s Wildcat Ticket Office: goo.gl/yIfGMs.
Festival day will comprise:
- A mini festival parade along State University Drive, starting at 9:00 a.m.
- Opening ceremony at 9:30 a.m. at Wildcat Stadium.
- Soccer matches from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in Wildcat Stadium. The four teams are Rio Balsas, Futbol Club San Jose, Liberta and La Ruana, from Atlanta and Peach County.
- Festival with music, food and other vendors, raffles, goat milk ice cream give-away, and more from 1:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Performers include: an Afro Cuban group called Orquesta Macuba, a Caribbean steel band called PanSonics, stilt dancers, and a Soca and Calypso musician named King Danskie.
For additional information, contact one of the following committee members:
- Sponsorship: Mr. Robert Stephens; Stephensr@fvsu.edu or 478-825-6092 (Click here to become a sponsor.)
- Vendors: Ms. Melissa Lee; email@example.com or 478-827-3017
- Volunteers: Mr. Ed Boston; firstname.lastname@example.org or 478-822-1064
- Student volunteers: Mr. Brian Byrd; email@example.com or 478-825-6290
- Marketing: Ms. Pamela Berry-Johnson, firstname.lastname@example.org or 478-825-6319
- Soccer Teams and Logistics: Dr. Joshua Murfree: email@example.com or 478-825-6238
- Parade: LTC Joel Davis: firstname.lastname@example.org or 478-825-6340
- Performers: Mr. Austin Thomson: email@example.com or 404-587-3949 and Mr. Bobby Dickey; firstname.lastname@example.org or 478-825-6387
- Tickets: Mr. John Cagnina; email@example.com or 478-825-6522
- Placement of Banners: Mr. Terrence Wolfork; firstname.lastname@example.org or 478-825-6345