Vacancy Number: 1010
Job Summary: The Research Assistant (RA) will work with the scientists and graduate students in animal and food science. The RA will provide support for research by conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing results and performing operational duties associated with animal and food science research.
This is a full-time position at the Agricultural Research Station in the College of Agriculture, Family Sciences and Technology.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducting research activities/experiments with graduate students
- Preparing feedstuff for research animals
- Feeding experimental animals
- Collecting and analyzing blood, meat, and meat products, milk and dairy product samples from experimental animals
- Summarizing data for statistical analysis
- Preparing results for scientific presentation
- Preparing meat and dairy products with small ruminants
- Performing other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences.
- Experienced using general lab instruments including but not limited to gas chromatography (GC), high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), texture analyzer, and microplate reader
- Experienced using instrumental (Chemstation, Texture Exponent), statistical (SAS) and general PC office software
- Interpersonal skills necessary to work collaboratively with individuals in and outside of the department
- Self-directed and the ability to work independently, set priorities, and maintain/meet research timelines
- Valid driver’s license
Bachelor degree in animal science or food science.
- Work hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Some evenings or early mornings and weekend work
- Occasional travel to attend meetings/trainings
- Work is done in both a climate controlled environment and outside
Physical activities include sitting, standing, walking, heavy lifting (up to 50 pounds), reaching over the shoulder, and repeated bending.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested persons MUST submit a complete application packet which includes:
- FVSU Application (include Job Title and Job Number)
- Cover Letter (include Job Title and Job Number)
- Unofficial Transcript(s) – Diploma copies are not accepted in lieu of transcripts
- List of three (3) Professional References including their contact information
Complete application packets should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the Job Title and Job Number in the subject line. Application packets that do not contain ALL required information will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
The deadline to apply is October 7, 2016.