Shadreck S. Chitsonga, Ph.D.
- College: College of Arts and Sciences
- Department: Mathematics and Computer Science Department
- Title: Associate Professor
- Associated Majors and Graduate Programs: Mathematics
SHADRECK SONES CHITSONGA, PH.D.
Doctor of Philosophy in Mathematics Education, December 2010, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia (USA).
Bachelor of Education, Major: Mathematics, Minor: Physical Science, Chancellor College, University of Malawi, Zomba, Malawi, July 1991.
Diploma in Education, Major: Mathematics, Minor: Physical Science, Chancellor College, University of Malawi, Zomba, Malawi, July 1989
Associate Professor of Mathematics, August 2016 to Present
Assistant Professor of Mathematics, August 2010 to July, 2015
Fort Valley State University, Fort Valley, GA, USA
- MATH 1111-College Algebra
- MATH 1112-Trigonometery
- MATH 1113-Precalculus
- MATH 1154-Calculus I
- MATH 1201-Problem Solving
- MATH 2008- Foundations of Numbers and Operations
- MATH 2113-Elementary Statistics
- MATH 2164-Calculus II
- MATH 3113-Applied Regression Analysis
- MATH 3100- Discrete Mathematics & Statistics
- MATH 3400-Geometry for K-8 Teachers
- STAT 3000-Statistical Methods I
- STAT 3001-Statistical Methods II
- STAT 3113-Applied Regression Analysis
- STAT 4010 –Applied Experimental Designs
- STAT 4113- Applied Categorical Data Analysis
- BUSA 3213- Statistics for Business and Economics
Teaching Assistant, August 2005- December 2009
University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia USA.
Instructor, January 2010 – May 2010. EMAT 2000. Foundations of Mathematics Education.
Instructor, January 2009- May, 2009 in EMAT 4600. Problem Solving in Mathematics.
Field supervisor, January 2006- April 2006, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, USA
Supervised preservice teachers during their teaching practice and also worked with in-service teachers.
High School Teacher, August 2004- May 2005
Cedar Shoals High School, Athens, Georgia, USA
Taught Mathematics in grades 9-12
High School Teacher, January 1997- May 2004
Rainbow High School, Gaborone, Botswana
- Taught Mathematics, Chemistry, Agricultural Science, and Design
and Technology in grades 9-12
- Set up the first Chemistry labs at the school.
Middle School Teacher, January 1997- December 1997
The Learning Center, Gaborone, Botswana
Taught Mathematics, Science, and English in grade 4
High School Teacher, November 1995- December 1996
Itsoseng Senior Private School, Gaborone, Botswana
- Taught Mathematics in grades 10-12
- Helped in coaching the school’s soccer team
High School Teacher/ Deputy Principal, November 1994- July 1995
Soche Progressive Private School, Blantyre, Malawi
Taught Mathematics and Physical science in grades 9-12
High School Teacher, October 1991- October 1994
Chiradzulu Secondary School, Chiradzulu, Malawi
- Taught Mathematics and Physical Science in grades 9-12
- Chairperson for school’s Quiz Team and prepared the students for
- Supervised teachers and handled students’ disciplinary issues.
- Awarded The National Science Foundation grant of $393,684 dated June 5, 2014. The project, entitled “Targeted Infusion Project: Developing a Minor Program in Applied Statistics within the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Fort Valley State University.,” is under the direction of Dawit Aberra, Hiaxin Wang, Shadreck Chitsonga.
- Awarded Affordable Learning Georgia Textbook Transformation Grant ($29,000). Awarded in February 2015. Under the direction of Josephine Davis, Shadreck Chitsonga, Samuel Cartwright, and Bhavana Burrell.
- Reviewed an article submitted to “The Summer” 6th International
Conference, May 8, 2012.
- Reviewed a Manuscript for The Mathematics Educator. November 18, 2011.
- Reviewed articles for the Fort Valley State University Journal: Journal of Teaching and Learning. (Reviewer from 2014-Present)
- Reviewed an article for International Journal of Research in Education and Science. August,2016
- Mathematics in the Valley (Mathematics Jeopardy Competition for high school students) : Co-organizer and item writer
- Chair: Mathematics Curriculum Committee (2013–2015)
- Member: College of Arts and Sciences Curriculum Committee (2013–2015)
- Enhanced Critical Thinking Coordinator of mathematics (2014–August, 2016)
- Precalculus Coordinator
- Coordinator: Department of Mathematics (2014–Present)
- Member: Professional Education Faculty Council (2010–2011)
- Enhanced Critical Thinking Advisory council
- Student Advisement
- Assessment Coordinator for Mathematics Department
- Member of the College of Arts and Sciences Appeals Committee (2014)
- Special College-Level Advisory Committee to the Dean (College of Arts & Sciences, 2013)
- Participated in Math in the Valley Project
- Church Elder for a local church
- Volunteered as an administrator at a Math Olympics Competition
Chitsonga, Shadreck S. (2015) “Analyzing Mathematics and AP Statistics Assessment Items in Terms of the Levels of Thinking Skills They Assess,” Georgia Educational Researcher: Vol. 12: Iss. 2, Article 1.
Toppin, I., & Chitsonga, S. Critical Thinking Skills and Academic Maturity: Emerging Results from a Five-Year Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) Study,” Journal of Inquiry & Action in Education, 7(2), 2016
- Redesigning Pre-Calculus Courses: Lesson from the Past.
Presentation, University of Alabama, April 1– 2, 2011.
- Enhancing Critical Thinking in Core curriculum Mathematics Courses.
Presentation, University of Alabama, April 1– 2, 2011.
- Faculty Perspective on Critical Thinking. Presentation, Fort Valley State University, Critical Thinking Day, May 1, 2015.
- Enhancing Critical Thinking Capability in Mathematics Courses. Presentation, Fort Valley State University, Third Annual Research Day, April 11, 2013.
- A Critical Thinking Enhancement Model for Reforming Pre-Calculus at an HBCU. Presentation, 19th National HBCU Faculty Development Conference.
- Enhancing Critical Thinking Capability in Pre-Calculus. Presentation, FVSU Third Annual Research Day, April 2011.
- Adding a minor to HBCU students’ portfolio: the case of Applied Statistics at Fort Valley State University.” Presentation, National HBCU Faculty Development Network Conference in Atlanta. October 23-25, 2016.