The Office of Financial Aid
Thank you for considering Fort Valley State University as your institution of choice in your pursuit of higher education. Our staff of financial aid professionals is committed to assisting you and your parents in finding financial solutions to pay for your college education. Hence, we are here to help you navigate through the process and advise you of the many different funding options available to you. As you review the Financial Aid Office’s web offerings, you will realize that the University administers a number of financial aid programs that may provide the assistance you need to help pay for your Fort Valley State University education.
Our objective is to make your transition to the university environment a great experience. However, you, as the student, will have to assume a large share of the responsibility for your success. Let me take a few moments to share with you some important aspects of the application process:
- Take responsibility for knowing all information pertaining to any aspect of the financial aid process. Information has been made available to you on this website, in the University catalog, and in the University’s Student Handbook.
- The office adheres strictly to all published deadline dates and application processes. A review of this website will provide you with all applicable deadline dates and application processes.
- The office communicates with students primarily through email and encourages students to communicate with their financial aid advisor via email. Your FVSU email address is the only email address the office uses. Staff email addresses and direct dial telephone numbers are listed on this website for your convenience.
- Student status information is available by way of your Banner Web Account. You are expected to access your Banner Web Account and will be directed to do so for any questions concerning any application status questions.
- You must be making satisfactory academic progress in order to continue receiving financial aid. All students are strongly encouraged to read and understand the University’s policy governing satisfactory academic progress posted on this website.
- Application processing usually takes a minimum of 8 – 10 weeks. You are expected to submit application documents within a timely manner so that funds are available when needed. Please note that during certain times of the year, application processing may take longer.
- Write your name and FVSU ID Number on each document you send to the Office of Financial Aid. We may not be able to identify your documents if you fail to affix your name and FVSU ID Number on each document you submit to our office.
- You must apply for financial aid each year. Our priority application deadline is March 1.
Again, thank you for selecting Fort Valley State University as your institution of higher learning. Each member of the staff is committed to providing you with prompt, efficient, and courteous service. We value you as a student and trust that you will value your experience at Fort Valley State University. We strongly believe that all roads to the mountain top go through The Valley.
Director, Office of Financial Aid
Title IV School Code: 001566
The Office of Financial Aid will communicate with students primarily through their Fort Valley State University email address and Banner Web. Students will be expected to access Banner Web for the following:
- To determine missing documents required to complete the application process.
- To view and print financial aid award letters.
- To accept, decline, or reduce awards offered.
- To complete Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note.
The vast majority of your questions can be answered by accessing Banner Web. This is especially helpful during our peek processing months when contacting the office is difficult. Banner Web updates occur in real time. What this means is that as we make changes to student's files, those changes are immediately updated in Banner Web. We have invested in this technology in order to put you in the driver's seat from any computer connected to the web, thus eliminating your need to visit the Office of Financial Aid and giving you the ability to monitor the progress of your application for financial aid from the comfort of your home.
We urge students and parents to use Banner Web to monitor their application process. By doing so, it permits us to devote time to student applications which are more complex and require additional attention in processing. However, should you need to contact the office, the information provided below will assist you in reaching your Financial Aid Advisor. Advisors have been assigned by the student's last name.
James Stotts, Interim Director
Office: (478) 825-6605
Shandia Valle, Advisor for (A – F & P)
Office: (478) 827-3040
Teresa Joseph, Advisor for (G – L & M)
Office: (478) 825-6507
Cassandra Travis, Advisor for (R – Z)
Office: (478) 825-6259
Brenda Ross, Coordinator Special Projects, Advisor for (N, O, and Q)
Office: (478) 825-6559
Celestine Gavins , Customer Service Representative
Office: (478) 825-6363
The philosophy of student aid is to provide access and choice to students who, without such assistance, would not be able to attend an institution of higher learning. The overall focus and priority of services of the Office of Financial Aid is the student. The priority in this office is to provide our students and their families with exemplary services and to remove financial barriers to student enrollment and retention at Fort Valley State University. We seek to assure that any qualified student who desires to pursue and complete an education at this University can obtain appropriate resources to do so.
The Office of Financial Aid seeks to provide financial aid services which are sensitive to individual student needs and effective in enabling students to bridge the gap between family resources and educational expenses. The delivery of services will be characterized by timeliness, accuracy, clarity and customer friendliness, and will be accomplished through the simplest procedures consistent with fiscal responsibility and governmental and University regulations. The Office of Financial Aid is committed to providing student borrowers with loan counseling and information about loan indebtedness and repayment responsibilities. In responding to the diverse and changing needs and growth of the University community, a spirit of cooperation and an approach which is flexible, equitable, innovative and broad-ranging will be maintained.
The Office of Financial Aid maintains a strong commitment to extending our knowledge through staff development and training, research on financial aid issues and problems, and seeks to assume a leadership role in developing a comprehensive system of student financial support services. The quality of the staff, services, and research efforts will identify the Office of Financial Aid as a center of expertise on financial aid at Fort Valley State University and throughout the financial aid profession.
Troup Administration Building
Monday – Friday
8:00 am to 5:00 pm
(478) 825-6363 office
(478) 825-6976 fax
Normal Hours of Operations: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (Monday – Friday)
Summer Hours (June 1 – August 1): 10:00 am to 4:00 pm (Monday – Friday)
Attachment Size Financial Aid Update.pdf 50.44 KB
Financial Aid Priority Deadline
Financial Aid Priority Deadline