Normal Hours of Operations: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Daily*
Office of Financial Aid
Troup Administration Building | Suite 113
Fort Valley, Georgia 31030
(478) 825-6976 fax
(478) 825-6363 office
SCHOOL CODE: 001566
April 15th, Priority FAFSA Processing deadline
June 1st, FAFSA Processing Deadline for Fall Semester
June 30th, Verification Documents Deadline
Welcome to Fort Valley State University! The Financial Aid Staff and I are committed to assisting you and your parents in making your experience in the financial aid process as smooth as possible. While planning for your college, financing your education is an important investment for accomplishing your future endeavors. The Financial Aid Office is available to provide service in the form of counseling, application process, and etcetera. As you review our web information, you will realize that the University administers a number of financial aid programs that may provide the assistance you need to help pay for your pursuit of higher education at Fort Valley State University.
Our goal is to make your college experience a memorable one. We ask that you help us to help you by taking ownership of completing the financial aid process before the March 1st priority deadline. Meeting deadlines is essential to having your financial aid available before you matriculate. Success means different things to different people. Success to the Financial Aid Office is being able to provide excellent service to our students by processing your applications timely, efficiently, and accurately.
You have control of your success and therefore, are expected to rise to the occasion of assuming responsibility for your future. The expectation now is for you to take responsibility for completing and submitting all required financial aid documents as requested. The application process is as follows:
- Create a Federal Student Aid Id (FSA ID) at www.fsaid.ed.gov .
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.govbefore the March 1st priority deadline. The FAFSA becomes available on every January 1st. Parents are encouraged to complete their tax return before the April 15th deadline.
- Use the Data Retrieval Tool to populate your tax return information. This will decrease the chances of being selected for the verification process.
- Read your Student Aid Report (SAR) when received from the Federal Processor.
- When the Financial Aid Office receives your Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR) information is available by way of your Banner Web Account. You are expected to access your Banner Web Account, check your status, and take appropriate action if selected for the “verification” process.
- Write your name and FVSU ID Number on each document you send to the Financial Aid Office (FAO). We may not be able to identify your documents if you fail to affix your name and FVSU ID Number on each document you submit to our office.
- You must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to receive financial aid assistance at Fort Valley State University. All students are strongly encouraged to read and understand the University’s policy governing SAP.
- If applying for summer aid, you may need to complete two FAFSA applications and the FVSU Financial Aid Office Summer Application (Documents and Forms). Example: If attending Summer 2017, you must complete both the 2016-2017 FAFSA which covers Fall 2016, Spring 2017, and Summer 2017, the 2017-2018 FAFSA which covers Fall 2017, Spring 2018, and Summer 2018, and the FAO Summer Application.
- If you are eligible for the HOPE or Zell Miller Scholarship and wish to apply, please refer to http://www.gafutures.org/ for application details. NOTE: If you were not eligible for HOPE after completing high school or have transferred to Fort Valley State University and believe that you are eligible to receive the HOPE or Zell Miller scholarship, you must submit a HOPE Evaluation Form to the Office of Financial Aid for review.
- Read your email daily, check Banner Web regularly, and save all financial aid documents.
- If your enrollment status changes at FVSU at anytime, please refer to our Return to Title IV Policy.
Thank you for selecting Fort Valley State University as your institution of higher learning. Again, the Financial Aid Staff and I are committed to providing you with prompt, efficient, and courteous service. We value you as a student and trust that you will excel academically while attending Fort Valley State University.
Kimberly N. Morris, Director
How are we doing? Your feedback is important to us! http://www.fvsu.edu/financial-aid-survey/
Title IV School Code: 001566
The philosophy of student aid is to provide access and choice to students who, without such assistance, would not be able to attend an institution of higher learning. The overall focus and priority of services of the Office of Financial Aid is the student. The priority in this office is to provide our students and their families with exemplary services and to remove financial barriers to student enrollment and retention at Fort Valley State University. We seek to assure that any qualified student who desires to pursue and complete an education at this University can obtain appropriate resources to do so.
The Office of Financial Aid seeks to provide financial aid services which are sensitive to individual student needs and effective in enabling students to bridge the gap between family resources and educational expenses. The delivery of services will be characterized by timeliness, accuracy, clarity and customer friendliness, and will be accomplished through the simplest procedures consistent with fiscal responsibility and governmental and University regulations. The Office of Financial Aid is committed to providing student borrowers with loan counseling and information about loan indebtedness and repayment responsibilities. In responding to the diverse and changing needs and growth of the University community, a spirit of cooperation and an approach which is flexible, equitable, innovative and broad-ranging will be maintained.
The Office of Financial Aid maintains a strong commitment to extending our knowledge through staff development and training, research on financial aid issues and problems, and seeks to assume a leadership role in developing a comprehensive system of student financial support services. The quality of the staff, services, and research efforts will identify the Office of Financial Aid as a center of expertise on financial aid at Fort Valley State University and throughout the financial aid profession.
The Office of Financial Aid will communicate with students primarily through their Fort Valley State University email address and Banner Web. Students will be expected to access Banner Web for the following:
- To determine missing documents required to complete the application process.
- To view and print financial aid award letters.
- To accept, decline, or reduce awards offered.
- To complete Terms and Conditions.
- To review Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standing.
- To review messages from the Office of Financial Aid.
- To complete Entrance and Exit Counseling and Master Promissory Note.
The vast majority of your questions can be answered by accessing Banner Web. This is especially helpful during our peek processing months when contacting the office is difficult. Banner Web updates occur in real time. What this means is that as we make changes to student’s files, those changes are immediately updated in Banner Web. We have invested in this technology in order to put you in the driver’s seat from any computer connected to the web, thus eliminating your need to visit the Office of Financial Aid and giving you the ability to monitor the progress of your application for financial aid from the comfort of your home.
We urge students and parents to use Banner Web to monitor their application process. By doing so, it permits us to devote time to student applications which are more complex and require additional attention in processing. However, should you need to contact the office, the information provided below will assist you in reaching your Financial Aid Advisor. Advisors have been assigned by the student’s last name.
Office of Financial Aid
Code of Conduct
In compliance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 Section 487 (a) (25) (A)-(C), the Office of Financial Aid staff at Fort Valley State University (FVSU) and agents of the Institution will maintain a strictly professional relationship with lenders, guarantors, loan servicers, or the like when performing services relating to the administration of the Federal Family Education Loan Program, Federal Direct or Private Loans.
The Office of Financial Aid staff and agents of the Institution are prohibited in engaging in any of the following activities:
- revenue-sharing arrangements with any lender
- the solicitation or acceptance of any gift from a lender, guaranty agency or loan servicer
- contractual agreements relating to education loans
- assigning or recommending to a borrower a particular lender or guaranty agency
- requesting or accepting the offer of funds for private loans from any lender
- accepting staffing assistance from any lender
- endorsement of lenders
- acceptance of advisory board compensation
The Office of Financial Aid will not hinder a borrower in any way from selecting his/her lender of choice or incur any unnecessary delays in loan certification. The highest ethical standards will be maintained in following the mission of the Institution and the Office of Financial Aid.