Welcome to Greek Life at FVSU
Membership in all Greek letter organizations is open to all regularly enrolled students of Fort Valley State University who meet the academic and University requirements of the organization. No person, due to race, color, national origin, or gender shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination with respect to membership in a Greek letter organization or in any program or activity sponsored by the organizations. Unless the organization is Title IX exempt.
All Fort Valley State University students must meet the following criteria in order to be considered for membership in a Greek Letter Organization:
- Each prospective member must be enrolled as full-time status during the semester in which he or she is seeking to participate in membership intake.
- Each prospective member shall be eligible for membership into a Greek-letter organization upon the successful completion of thirty (30) earned semester credit hours towards their first baccalaureate degree and establish two semesters of residence at Fort Valley State University prior to seeking membership intake.
- Each prospective member must hold the 2.75 minimum institutional grade point average at the time of application for membership. If membership is granted by the organization, a 2.75 GPA is required to maintain active status at the campus.
- Students enrolled in Learning Support courses are not eligible to participate in membership intake. Each prospective member must have successfully completed all Learning Support requirements and earned twelve semester credit hours of non-learning support courses prior to seeking membership intake.
- Transfer students, in addition to the aforementioned requirements, must have earned fifteen (15) semester hours toward their first baccalaureate degree at Fort Valley State University. Transfer students must also hold a grade point average of 2.75, both institutional (FVSU) and cumulative grade point average.
- Each student must be in good standing (academic, disciplinary and financial).
- Attend a Greek Life Perspective Seminar the semester preceding the semester seeking membership intake into a Greek Letter Organization.
University requirements for membership into a Greek Letter Organization will be verified through the Membership Intake Clearinghouse managed by the Office of Campus Life. University clearance does not automatically clear students to become eligible for membership in Greek Letter Organizations; additional requirements include membership qualifications outlined by the specific organization.
Greek Life (Organizations and Chapters)
Sharpen Your CLAWS
Cultivating Leadership & Wildcat Service
Fall 2005 Must be full-time student (enrolled in a minimum of 12 hours.)
Fall 2005 Transfer – 15 Earned FVSU Hours Required
Fall 2005 Minimum 2.5 Institutional GPA. Members must maintain a 2.5
Fall 2006 Minimum 2.6 Institutional GPA. Members must maintain a 2.6
Fall 2007 Minimum 2.7 Institutional GPA. Members must maintain a 2.7
Fall 2005 Must be in good academic standing with the university
Fall 2012 Must be in good standing with the Office of Judicial Affairs
- No open conduct case(s)
- All community service sanctions complete
- Counseling and mentoring requirement satisfied
- Fines Paid
- No new conduct violations during the intake process (or you may be removed from the process)
Fall 2005 Must be in good standing with the Office of Student Financial Services
- All tickets and fines paid
- $0.00 student balance
Fall 2016 Must have Greek Life required hours for cohort (Semester = Fall/Spring)
- Start of 3rd semester – 30 earned hours
- Start of 5th semester – 60 earner hours
- Start of 7th semester – 90 earner hours
- C.L. A. W. S. Requirement 1
Aspiring members must complete thirty (30) documented hours of community service certified by a coordinator for the service project (s). Students should use the Community Service Time Sheet or they may have the agency submit a letter (on company letterhead) on their behalf. Students may not certify community services for other students. Community service hours may be certified by other students.
- C.L. A. W. S. Requirement 2
Students must complete six (6) co-curricular or extracurricular seminar workshop sponsored by a University entity and approved by a Greek Life Official; one seminar must be a Hazing Seminar/Risk Management. Seminars will be posted throughout each semester.
New applicants must meet all University requirements for participation in intake at the time of Membership Intake Clearinghouse. Students who incur fines, fees, and/or are issued new student code of conduct violations will be removed from the membership process and must discontinue all membership activities for that semester.
Fall 2017 Minimum 2.75 Institution GPA
National Pan-Hellenic Council Organizations (Active Chapters)
- Alpha Phi Alpha, Gamma Zeta Chapter
- Alpha Kappa Alpha, Alpha Beta Chapter
- Delta Sigma Theta, Eta Chapter
- Iota Phi Theta, Delta Theta Chapter
- Kappa Alpha Psi, Gamma Zeta Chapter
- Omega Psi Phi, Upsilon Sigma Chapter
- Phi Beta Sigma, Alpha Pi Chapter
- Sigma Gamma Rho, Zeta Pi Chapter
- Zeta Phi Beta, Delta Beta Chapter
United Council of Fraternal Organizations
- Alpha Phi Omega
- Gamma Sigma Sigma
- Kappa Kappa Psi
- Pershing Angels
- Pershing Rifles
- Tau Beta Sigma