Thank you for your interest in Fort Valley State University’s Licensing and Trademarks program. The Wildcat spirit shared by Fort Valley State students, alumni, friends, and fans generates a demand for products that display the names, logos, and trademarks associated with FVSU.
The purpose of FVSU’s licensing program is to protect and enhance the university’s brand identity by ensuring that only licensed and approved products display Fort Valley State’s federally protected trademarks. The program is responsible for determining if a product and design are consistent not only with the brand and images of the university, but also our goals. It also exists to quality, liability, production, and distribution of products meet the university’s standards. Additionally, the program enables Fort Valley State to share in the benefits derived from the commercial use of the trademarks.
Fort Valley State University’s trademarks are the property of Fort Valley State and the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia.
Who needs a license?
Licenses/approval must be obtained for the use of any FVSU trademark, image, or photograph used on any packaging (including hangtags, stickers), signage, banner, or product sold to the general public or to campus departments and organizations. In addition, promotional licenses must be obtained by companies or organizations wanting to associate with Fort Valley State through any use of its trademarks and/or images.
Fort Valley State University reserves the right to prohibit the use of its trademarks with certain issues and products, such as alcohol, tobacco, candidates for public office, those products that infringe upon another entity’s trademarks, or would be considered in poor taste by the general public. The university will not license products that do not meet minimum quality standards, are not in good taste, or items considered dangerous or high risk. Click here to obtain a license.
What is a trademark
- A trademark (or mark) is any logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word, slogan, or derivative used by an organization, company or institution to identify its goods/services and distinguish them from other entities or competitors.
- Any reference to the university or trademarks adopted hereafter and used or approved for use by Fort Valley State University shall be subject to the policies and procedures of the Office of Marketing and Communications’s licensing requirements/procedures. Additionally, any variations of the university marks which would cause consumers to erroneously believe that the product originated from or was sponsored or authorized by the university shall also be covered by the trademark licensing program policies and procedures.
Fort Valley State University policy stipulates that campus organizations must use approved vendors for merchandise fulfillment. These approved vendors have undergone a thorough screening process to guarantee that they:
- Adhere to strict business codes/ethics
- Maintain liability insurance against claims on their products
- Pay fees to the university for usage license(s)
- Return royalties to Fort Valley State University for retail sales of merchandise bearing our marks
Click HERE to view the vendor list.