What is Title IX?
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (20 U.S.C. § 1681) provides that no person shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied benefits or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.
The following are examples of types of sex-based discrimination prohibited by Title IX:
- Sexual harassment, including sexual assault, occurring in connection with any academic, athletic, extracurricular or other university program, regardless of the location;
- Discriminatory decision-making by a supervisor of an employee based on the employee’s sex;
- Failure to provide equitable opportunity for participation in intercollegiate sports; or
- Disproportionate awards of athletic scholarships.
Educational institutions that receive federal financial assistance are covered by Title IX. If only one of the institution’s programs or activities receives federal funding, all of the programs within the institution must comply with Title IX regulations. In compliance with Title IX, Fort Valley State University prohibits discrimination in employment as well as in all programs and activities on the basis of sex.
Pursuant to Title IX and its regulations (34 C.F.R. Part 106), the Fort Valley State University Title IX Coordinator is the designated university official with primary responsibility for coordinating the university’s compliance with Title IX and other federal and state laws and regulations relating to sex-based discrimination.
The Title IX Coordinator:
- Promotes the creation of policies, procedures and notifications designed to ensure university compliance with Title IX
- Oversees implementation of compliance procedures, including investigation and disposition of complaints
- Answers questions and provides guidance about Title IX compliance and the university’s related policies and procedures
- Acts as liaison to the state and federal agencies that enforce Title IX
- Helps ensure the campus community and university employees with Title IX compliance responsibilities are adequately trained and educated
- Monitors all other aspects of the university’s Title IX compliance
Title IX Coordinator:
Director of Contracts and Compliance
Title IX Investigator
Sonya A. Williams, J.D.
Title IX Investigator & Student Conduct Specialist
In the interest of complying with our responsibilities under Title IX, and Board of Regents/FVSU policies, any report of sexual misconduct to a responsible employee must be reported to the Title IX Coordinator as soon as practically possible. This immediate and direct reporting to the Title IX Coordinator ensures that complaints are being addressed promptly and adequately, and most importantly, that parties are receiving essential resources.
If you have any questions regarding Title IX, the sexual misconduct policy or any of our duties under Title IX, please contact the Title IX Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org Also please be aware, the Title IX Coordinator is working with numerous areas on their Title IX compliance; this includes departmental training.
To file an on-campus complaint, please contact Title IX Coordinator or submit your complaint via online.
- Sexual Misconduct/Title IX
- Student Code of Conduct Investigation and Disciplinary Proceeding
- Sexual Harassment
Office of Civil Rights filing process:
Inquiries concerning the application of Title IX may be referred to the address below, or contact:
U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, (800) 421-3481 or email@example.com
If you wish to fill out a complaint form online with the agency, you may do so at: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/complaintintro.html
|Campus Resources||Online-Off Campus Resources|
|Legal Affairs and Risk Management
|RAINN-Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) National Sexual Assault Hotline
|FVSU Police Department
|Phoenix Health Center
940 A-GA Highway 96
Warner Robins, GA 31088
|Employee ONLY Resources:
ESPYR,USGEmployee Assistance Program
|National Domestic Violence Hotline
Description: Support and assistance to anyone involved in a domestic violence situation.