Eugene A. Amoah, Ph.D.
- College: College of Agriculture, Family Sciences and Technology
- Title: Professor
- Associated Majors and Graduate Programs: Animal Science (Master of Science)
DR. EUGENE A AMOAH
Fort Valley State University
Professor of Animal Science
1005 State University
122 Alva Tabor building
Fort Valley, GA 31030
Doctor of Philosophy: Reproductive Physiology
University of Reading, Reading, England, UK (1982)
Master of Science: Animal Production
University of Reading, Reading, England, UK (1978)
Bachelor of Science (Honors): Agriculture (Animal Science) University of Ghana, Legon, Ghana (1974)
Head of Department of Agricultural Sciences
Fort Valley State University
Interim Chair, Department of Agricultural Sciences
Fort Valley State University
Professor, Animal Science
Fort Valley State University
Visiting Scientist – USDA Gene Evaluation & Mapping Lab
USDA Reproduction Lab, Beltsville, MD.
University of the South Pacific, Western Samoa
Assistant Research Officer
Animal Research Institute, CSIR, Ghana
Manipulation of photoperiod and hormones to control breeding in seasonal temperate goats:
- Long and short photoperiods are successfully controlled in rooms to stimulate breeding in the anestrous period of temperate breeds.
- Hormones such as prostaglandins, gonadotropins and melatonin have been used to manipulate breeding patterns of seasonally sensitive temperate breeds of goat.
Culturing & Maturation of Gametes, and In vitro fertilization of goat ova for transfer during the anestrous season:
- Oocytes from Swiss Alpine and Saanen breeds born and raised in Georgia are successfully matured and fertilized in vitro during the non-breeding season.
- Embryo production through in vitro fertilization technology could be an alternative approach to circumvent seasonal anestrus in temperate climates.
Toward transgenic goat production:
- Working closely with Dr. Mahipal Singh on myostatin gene construct for goat cells.
- Singh, M., X. Ma, E. Amoah, and G. Kannan. 2011. In vitro culture of fibroblast-like cells from postmortem skin of Katahdin sheep stored at 40C for different time intervals. InVitro Cellular & Developmental Biology-Animal. (DOI: 10. 1007/s11626-011-9395-6)
- Richardson, S., S. Samake and E. Amoah. 2011. Recovered oocytes from slaughtered goats used for in vitro fertilization during the seasonal anestrous period. 16th Biennial ARD symposium, Marriott Marquis, Atlanta, GA April 9-13, 2011
- Singh, M., A. Yadav, X. Ma, and E. Amoah. 2010. Plasmid DNA transformation in Escherichia coli: effect of heat shock temperature, duration, and cold incubation of CaCl2 treated cells. International Journal of Biotechnology & Biochemistry 6(4):561-568
- Singh, M., A. Sharma, X. Ma, E. Amoah and G. Kannan. 2010. Construction of a goat myostatin gene promoter-GFP translational fusion to study promoter regulation. J. of Animal Science. (2010) 88 (E-Suppl.3): 8.
- Singh, M., Amoah, E., Kannan, G., and Terrill, T.H. 2009. Cloning and Partial Characterization of the Upstream Promoter Region of the Myostatin Gene in Spanish Goats. ARD Biennial Research. Pp. 107-108.
- Richardson, S., Amoah, E.A., Gosier, J., Jones. M., & Singh M, 2009. Oocyte recovery from slaughtered goats during the non-breeding season. ARD Biennial Research. 135.
- Singh, M., E. Amoah, G. Kannan, S. Stice, and D.M. Donovan. 2009. Genome walk of an unknown upstream region of myostatin gene in Spanish goats. Frontiers in Reproductive Biology and Regulation of Fertility. Keystone symp. on Molecular and Cellular Biology: 219
- Kouakou, B., O.S.Gazal, T.H. Terrill, G. Kannan, S. Gelaye, and E.A. Amoah. (2008). Digestibility, hormones and blood metabolites in dairy bucks subjected to underfeeding and refeeding. Small Rumin Res. 75:171
- Kouakou,B., S.Gelaye, G.Kannan, T.D.Pringle, and E.A.Amoah (2005) Blood metabolites, meat quality and muscle calpain-calpastatin activities in goats treated with low doses of recombinant bovine somatotropin. Small Rum. Res 57:203.
- Berckman, B., E.A. Amoah, & S. Mobini. 2004. Superovulation and recovery of goat embryos during the non-breeding and breeding seasons using PG 600. Int’l. Conf. on goats. Pretoria, S. Africa, July 3- 9.
- Terrill, T.H., S. Gelaye, S. Mahotiere, E. A. Amoah, S. Miller, W.R. Windham 2003. Effect of cutting date and frequency on yield and quality of kudzu in the southern United States. Grass and Forage Science: The journal of the British Grassland Society 58(2) 178-183.
- Gazal, O.S., B. Kouakou, E.A. Amoah, C.R. Barb, J.B. Barrett, and S. Gelaye. 2002. Effects of N-methyl-D,L-aspartate on LH, GH, and testosterone secretion in goat bucks maintained under long or short photoperiods. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1623-1628.
- Kannan, G., B. Kouakou, T.H. Terrill, S. Gelaye, and E.A. Amoah. 2001. Preslaughter stress effects on physiological responses and meat quality characteristics in goats. Journal of Animal Science 79(1):447.
- Kouakou, B., S. Gelaye, G. Kannan, T.H. Terrill, E.A. Amoah, and S. Miller. 2001. The effect of hay and/or concentrate on performance, organ mass, blood metabolites and hormones in weaned kids. Journal of Animal Science 79(1):446
- Kannan, G., T.H. Terrill, B. Kouakou, S.. Miller, S. Gleaye, and E.A. Amoah. 2001. Effects of simulated preslaughter holding and isolation on stress responses and live weight shrinkage in goats. Journal of Animal Science 79(1):279
- Kannan, G., TH Terrill, B. Kouakou, O.S. Gazal, S. Gelaye, EA Amoah, and S. Samake. 2000. Transportation of goats: Effects on physiological stress responses and live weight loss. J Anim. Sci. 78: 1450
- Samake, S., E.A. Amoah, O. Gazal, S. Mobini, and S. Gelaye.2000. In vitro fertilization of goat oocytes during the non-breeding season. Small Rumin. Res. 35 (2000): 49.
- Gazal, O.S., E.A. Amoah, B. Kouakou, C.R. Barb and S. Gelaye. 1998. Plasma growth hormone and testosterone responses to photoperiod and NMDA in the goat. Biol. Reprod. 58(Suppl.1): 139
- Gazal, O.S., E.A. Amoah, and S. Gelaye. 1998. Anterior pituitary responsiveness to exogenous GnRH during pregnancy and postpartum in goats. 1998 Joint Meeting Abstracts ADSA/ASAS.(Abstr.959):246
- Amoah, E.A., and S.Gelaye. 1997. Biotechnological Advances in Goat Reproduction. J. Anim. Sci. 75:578.
- Samake, S., O.S. Gazal, E.A. Amoah, and S. Gelaye. 1999. The effects of serum sources and hormone supplementation on goat oocyte maturation, fertilization and early embryo development during the non-breeding season. Biol. Reprod. (Suppl.)
- Gazal, O., B. Kouakou, E.A. Amoah, C.R. Barb, T.H. Terrill and S. Gelaye. 1997. NMDA stimulates LH secretion in the goat. Biol. Reprod. 56 (Suppl. 1): 160
- Samake, S., E.A. Amoah, S. Mobini, O. Gazal and S. Gelaye. 1997. In vitro fertilization in the goat. Proc. 11th Biennial Symposium, ARD, San Antonio, TX. Oct., 1-4
- Terrill, T.H., S. Gelaye, B. Kouakou, S. Miller, E.A. Amoah, and W.R. Windham. 1998. Activity and Forage Preference of Goats Grazing Alfalfa and Rhizoma Peanut Plots. Proc. Forage Grassl. Conf., 8-10 March, 1998, Indianapolis, IN.
- Amoah, E.A., S. Gelaye, P. Guthrie, and C.E. Rexroad, Jr. 1996. Breeding Season and Aspects of Reproduction of Female Goats. J. Anim. Sci. 74: 723.
- Terrill, T.H., S. Gelaye, E.A. Amoah, S. Miller, B. Kouakou, R.N. Gates and W.W. Hanna. 1998. Protein and energy value of pearl millet grain for mature goats. J. Anim. Sci.76: 1964-1969
- Gazal, O.S., B. Kouakou, E.A. Amoah, C.R. Barb, T.H. Terrill, J.B. Barrett, E.A. Taras and S. Gelaye. 1997. NMDA stimulates LH secretion in the goat. Biol. Reprod. 56 (Suppl. 1):160, Abst. 310.
- Gelaye, S., T.H. Terrill, E.A. Amoah, S. Miller, R.N. Gates and W.W. Hanna. 1997. Nutritional value of pearl millet for lactaing and growing goats. J. Anim. Sci. 75:1409.
- Terrill, T.H., S. Gelaye, S. Mahotiere, E.A. Amoah, S. Miller, R.N. Gates, and W.R. Windham. 1996. Rhizoma peanut and alfalfa productivity and nutrient composition in central Georgia. Agron. J. 88: 485.
- Amoah, E.A.; S. Galaye, 1991. Embryo recovery, evaluation, storage and transfer in goats. Small Rumin. Res. 6:119-129.
- Gelaye, S.; E.A. Amoah, 1991. Nutritive value of florigraze rhizoma peanut as an alternative leguminous forage for goats. Small Rumin. Res., 6: 131-139.
- Amoah, E.A.; S. Gelaye, 1990. Superovulation, Synchronization and Breeding of Does. Small Rumin. Res., 3:63-72.
- Amoah, E.A.; S. Gelaye, 1990. Reproductive Performance of Female Goats in South Pacific countries. Small Rumin. Res., 3:257-267.
- Gelaye, S.; E.A. Amoah; P. Guthrie, 1990. Performance of Yearling Goats Fed Alfalfa and Florigraze Rhizoma Peanut Hay. Small Rumin. Res., 3:353-361.
- Brown, J,; E.A. Amoah, 1990. Pattern of Breeding in Goats. Dairy Goat Journal, 68(2):86-87.
- Odums, O.J.; E.A. Amoah, 1990. Use of Melatonin to control Breeding in Goats. Dairy Goat Journal, 68(2):87.
- Amoah, E.A.; S. Gelaye, 1989. Goat Breeding Using Exogenous Hormones. Dairy Goat Journal, 67(8): 506-509.
- Gelaye, S.; E.A. Amoah; M.E. Walker,Jr., 1988. The Goat Industry: Then and Now. Dairy Goat Journal, 66(7): 472-479.
- Gelaye, S.; E. Amoah; J.D. Chapman, 1987. Performance of Dairy Goat Kids Fed Milk Acidified with Acid-Pak 4-Way. In: Biotechnology in the Feed Industry, T.P. Lyons(Ed.). Alltech Technical Publications, Nicholasville, KY. USA.
- Gelaye, S.; E.A. Amoah, 1987. Goats Require a Balanced Ration. Dairy Goat Journal, 65(4):210- 214.
- Amoah, E.A., 1986. Evaluation of Nutritive Value of Available Feedstuffs and Wastes for livestock Feeding. Alafua Agric. Bull., 11(1):15-20.
- Amoah, E.A., 1986. Factors Associated with Reproductive Performance of Goats in the South Pacific Region. Alafua Agric. Bull., 11(1): 5-14.
- Amoah, E.A., 1985. Review on Goat Production in the Tropics with Special Reference to the South Pacific Region: 1. Breeds and Reproduction. Alafua Agric. Bull., 10(2): 1-21.
- Amoah, E.A., 1985. Goat Production in the Pacific Region. The South Pacific Ag. Teacher, 3(4): 37-52.
- Amoah, E.A.; M.J. Bryant, 1984. Effect of Pattern of Lighting and Time of Birth on Occurrence of Puberty in Female Goat Kids. Anim. Prod., 38(1)83-89.
- Amoah, E.A.; M.J. Bryant, 1984. A Note on the Effect of Contact with Male Goat on Occurrence of Puberty in Female Goat Kids. Anim. Prod., 38(1): 141-144.
- Amoah, E.A.; M.J. Bryant, 1983. Gestation Period, Litter Size and Birth Weight of the Female Goat. Anim. Prod., 36: 105-110.