Vacancy Number: 1012
Job Summary: The Campus Security Officer is responsible for the general security of students, faculty, staff, visitors, and property. This is a 24-hour/7-day operation that involves shift work and rotating shifts.
This position reports to the Chief of Police or his designee.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Projects positive image of the university and Campus Police and Safety Department by maintaining a pleasant and professional demeanor with students, employees, and visitors
- Patrols campus grounds and buildings, checking doors, windows, and gates to ensure that they are secured. In addition, watches for any signs of fire or safety hazards
- Monitors and responds to fire alarms, and checks fire extinguishers
- Contributes to overall safety and security of students and employees by maintaining a uniformed presence and requesting police assistance when needed
- Gives directions, renders assistance, and provides information as requested
- Renders motorist services in the form of jump-starts, assisting in tire changes, and the calling of wreckers as requested
- Responds to incidents requiring documentation after hours, including but not limited to: stuck elevators, minor medical calls, maintenance emergencies, and fire alarms
- Provides walking escorts for any person who requests one from building to building, or to and from parking lots
- Responds to low-risk calls for service to assess scene and determine the need for police, fire, or EMS response
- Responds to maintenance emergencies (plumbing, power outage, etc.) after hours to document incident and protect university property until Plant Operations responds
- Locks/unlocks doors as needed on a regular schedule, and as requested by community members
- Works fixed-post positions or reception desks to provide security for buildings, and special events, as needed
- Assists FVSU police officers as directed within the scope of their ability to do so
- Enforces city and university regulations of a non-law enforcement nature (parking, smoking, etc.)
- Makes written reports regarding suspicious activity, safety hazards, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High School Education or GED required
- Valid Georgia driver’s license and meet driving record criteria established by the Department
- Prior security experience in an educational, medical, or corporate environment is desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent decision-making skills and the ability to think and act quickly
- Security experience in an educational, medical, or corporate environment
- Experience working on a college campus
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work in conjunction with the community in the furtherance of institutional goals, preferably in an educational environment
- Ability to exercise self-restraint and maintain composure under pressure or adverse conditions required.
- Ability to operate with limited supervision and maintain efficient, self-directed job functions necessary.
- Ability to make sound decisions based on good judgment on a frequent basis
- Skilled in conflict resolution and avoidance, and have exemplary public relations skills
- Work is performed primarily out-of-doors, and may require exposure to extreme weather conditions
- Has potential for exposure to potentially dangerous interpersonal situations, necessitating the observance of appropriate safety precautions
- Requires weekend, holiday, and shift work
- Must fully understand the role of a non-sworn guard in a support role to the FVSU police unit and know when to summon police assistance or fire/EMS help
- Job may be physically demanding at times and may require physical exertion including bending, reaching, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, etc.
- Requires long periods of walking, standing, and sitting
- Requires the ability to defend oneself or a member of the community in exigent circumstances
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested persons MUST submit a complete application packet which includes:
- FVSU Application (include Job Title and Job Number)
- Cover Letter (include Job Title and Job Number)
- Unofficial Transcript(s) – Diploma copies are not accepted in lieu of transcripts
- List of three (3) Professional References including their contact information
Complete application packets should be emailed to email@example.com, with the Job Title and Job Number in the subject line. Application packets that do not contain ALL required information will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.