Interested in the Upward Bound Program?
Thank you for your interest in the Upward Bound Program at Fort Valley State University.
*This is a Federal Grant Program.
Federal regulations require that all participants in the Trio Upward Bound Program demonstrate a financial and academic need for program services.
The mission of Upward Bound is to provide supplemental academic instructions, cultural and social enrichment activities to high school students who meet federal eligibility criteria thereby increasing the rate at which they complete high school and enroll and graduate from college.
Upward Bound is a federally funded grant program supported by Fort Valley State University. The program provides:
- Supplemental academic classes on Saturdays and six-week summer residential session.
- Tutorial services in target schools, designated locations in the communities and/or on FVSU campus.
- Curricula to target acquisition of skills necessary for high school graduation.
- Offer workshops, senior seminars, developmental training sessions; career and health fairs to enhance students’ academic and personal skills (i.e., computer instruction, college admission, financial aid, college survival, and career awareness workshops).
- College tours, cultural trips and social activities.
- Summer work-study positions within campus departments and community offices.
- Who Is Eligible?
High School students who meet the income and/or first-generation requirements and live in Macon and Peach counties.
Students must have completed the 8th grade but have not yet completed the 11th grade; and, they must have a need for academic support in order to pursue a program of post-secondary education.
Selection and Application Process
Students are selected based on recommendations from teachers and counselors, thoughtfulness of personal statements, and staff observations from interviews.
In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications for admission into the program, Fort Valley State University Upward Bound wants students who are committed to education and the benefits associated with receiving higher education. Students must be dedicated to striving towards academic excellence in order to maintain an active status in the program, and students must have positive attitudes and open minds ready to be enriched by all that the program has to offer.
Students: Choose your Science, Math or English Teacher to complete a Recommendation form and have your Middle School Counselor (current 8th graders) or High School Counselor (current 9th graders) to complete the Counselor’s Recommendation form.
Upward Bound offers assistance in the following areas:
- Academic Counseling
- Academic Tutoring
- Career Counseling
- Financial Aid Economic Literacy
- Financial Aid Planning
- Personal Development
- Personal/Social Advising
Submit Application: https://botform.compansol.com/201674306845053