Graduate Studies FAQs

1. Can my application fee be waived?

The Office of Graduate Studies cannot waive the application fee payment for graduate applicants.

2. Is the application fee refundable if I withdraw my application or if I am not accepted into a graduate program?

The application fee is devoted to the administrative cost of processing all applications received and is not refundable under any circumstances, regardless of the outcome, the date of filing, the time of review, or if, for whatever reason, the application is withdrawn.

3. How long will it take to receive a decision?

You will be notified via email as your application progresses through the review process and when you may check your status page to review a decision. Please reach out to your department for an exact estimate of when you will receive a decision.

5. Do I have an FVSU ID number?

6. Do you need ALL my transcripts?

Yes, please send transcripts from each of your previously attended institutions, and please make sure that they are official.

7. What if I have a hold or owe a balance at one of my previous institutions and am unable to acquire an official transcript from that institution?

You will need to pay off that balance and/or address that hold with that institution before you can complete your application at Fort Valley State University.

8. How do I request my transcripts from my previously attended institutions?

You can start by visiting each previously attended institution’s online student portal, if applicable, to see if you can request to have your transcripts sent electronically or sent by mail. If you have trouble locating the portal for the institution, then try emailing or calling their Office of the Registrar or an equivalent office.

9. What if my institution no longer exists?

This does not mean your transcript cannot be located. Usually, when an institution closes its doors for good its records are passed along to a third party. Try the following:

  • Try searching online for “(Institution Name) transcripts.” This is a great starting point.
  • If you are unable to find any information about requesting the transcripts with an online search, try contacting the Department of Education in the state where that institution was based.

Here are some examples of credible electronic transcript delivery services that may be used by post-secondary institutions

10. Do I have to submit a writing sample to apply for graduate school?

No. A writing sample is not required to apply to graduate school, but a writing sample is required in the graduate orientation course FVSU 0500 or within your program of study.