Health and Physical Education
Learn how to help people develop the knowledge, habits, and skills they need to maintain the well-being and fitness necessary for the best quality of life.
advocating for health
Explore ways to promote exercise, reduce illness and disease, combat obesity, increase consumption of nutritious food, and make positive lifestyle decisions.
During the most recent academic year, 100% of FVSU education graduates passed the state certification exam, and 90% found teaching positions, were enrolled in graduate school or became gainfully employed in careers related to education within one month of graduating.
In addition to classroom work, FVSU education majors engage in a field experience, working with practicing teachers in their classrooms to plan, implement, assess, and reflect on instructional methods, procedures, and principles. This includes lesson planning, assessing, evaluating, grading, conducting case studies, and developing effective classroom management strategies.
The college is committed to the preparation of “proficient educators” who are competent in content, pedagogy, and technology, as well as educators who possess a caring disposition while understanding and appreciating diversity.
The program is administered through the College of Education.
health and physical education
Candidates in the College of Education and Professional Studies are encouraged to become members of various clubs and organizations that aid in furthering careers.
- Graduate Student Government Association (GSGA) FVSU Graduate Studies;
- Student Georgia Association of Educators (GAE) – www.gae.org
- Student Georgia School Counseling Association (GSCA) –www.gaschoolcounselors.com
- Student American Counseling Association (ACA) – www.counseling.org
- Student American School Counselor Association (ASCA) – www.schoolcounselor.org
- National Middle School Association (NMSA)
- Georgia Association of Educators – www.gae.org
- Specialized Professional Association for a teaching field; English – NCTE; Math – NCTM, etc.
The Hubbard Education Building is equipped with a technology computer laboratory that is available to enrolled students. Library facilities are available in the Hubbard Education Building and the main library.
Course Catalog and Student Handbook
The Georgia Assessment for the Certification of Educators
Find information about taking the GACE tests here.