Student Access Loans
The Student Access Loan (SAL) Program is a need-based, low interest loan program. The purpose of the program is to assist with the affordability of a college education and encourage timely achievement of postsecondary credentials. Eligible students may pursue a Certificate, Diploma, or Associate, Baccalaureate, or First Professional Degree at an Eligible Postsecondary Institution.
The Interest Rate on any loan made under these regulations is one percent (1%) for the life of the loan and begins accruing at the time of the first disbursement. The Borrower must fulfill the loan obligation, including Repayment requirements, as specified in the Promissory Note to maintain the loan at a one percent (1%) interest rate.
A student must:
- Have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA (undergraduate or graduate); and
- Be in satisfactory status for Satisfactory Academic Progress (cannot be on warning, probation or suspension status); and
- Not be in default on a federal student loan; and
- Not have reached the Pell Lifetime Eligibility of 600%; and
- Not have borrowed the aggregate Federal Loan Limits of $31,000 (dependent undergraduate), $57,500 (independent undergraduate) or $138,500 (graduate); and
- Not have been flagged by the Department of Education on the FAFSA with an Usual Enrollment History Flag, even if the flags were resolved to receive federal student aid; and
- Must be taking coursework required toward the completion of the official degree of record; and
- Student must complete FVSU Get CounselingSession titled Student Access Loan and submit certificate; and
- Student must have completed the FVSU Get CounselingSessions titled Money Management and submit Certificate.
If a student is not meeting all of the above listed requirements, Fort Valley State University will not process a SAL for a student enrolled at the institution, unless the student has previously received a SAL loan at FVSU and has kept current with all Keep In Touch (KIT) payments required by GSFA since using the SAL loan (either at FVSU or other institutions).
Student Notification of Award
An Applicant chosen through the selection process will receive an email notification from GSFA on the date of selection.
After a selected Applicant is certified by the Eligible Postsecondary Institution, the Applicant will receive an email notification that includes instructions regarding the completion of the Promissory Note and other required disclosures or supporting documentation. Failure to return all loan documents as required in this section may result in the cancellation of the loan application at the discretion of GSFA.