FVSU 2020-2025 Strategic Planning Charge to President
Wednesday, August 7th, 2019
I am pleased that you have accepted the invitation to serve on the Strategic Planning Steering Committee for Fort Valley State University’s 2020-2025 Strategic Plan. The strategic planning process will involve a broad- based participation, and the selection of the steering committee reflects the diversity of input that will help ensure the success of the process and a quality product. When completed, the plan will provide the framework for guiding our direction through 2025. Through the strategic planning process, we will rededicate our efforts in moving the University to a new level of excellence. The Plan will build on our strengths, leverage our unique position to make Fort Valley State University a first choice destination for students, and a more competitive institution nationally. Everything we do as a University will be directed towards enhancing our quality and value to students, alumni, and the community .When complete, our Plan will help to distinguish Fort Valley State University as a world-class institution in the global higher education marketplace.
The University has retained MGT of America, Inc., a national consulting and research firm, to assist with the overall strategic planning process. Dr. Fred Seamon, Executive VP at MGT will serve as our consultant. Dr. Seamon will work in partnership with the Committee and the broader university community to develop a bold and visionary plan that will help launch our upward trajectory. Dr. Olufunke A. Fontenot, Interim Chief of Staff and Dr. Felicia Jefferson, Associate Professor will serve as co-chairs of the Committee.
As Committee members, you were selected for your vision and commitment to the mission of FVSU. You will work with Dr. Fred Seamon in guiding the development of a plan that will identify institutional level goals and objectives that will guide our priorities and resource allocation in the next five years. The Committee, under the guidance of the consultant, will advise the President during the process, and present a plan for the president’s approval by the end of March 2020.
Your role includes:
- Consult widely with students, faculty, staff, alumni, community partners and other stakeholders to develop a vision and direction for Fort Valley State for the next five years;
- Synthesize, integrate, and effectively communicate the input and ideas generated by the campus and external community and bring a broad perspective to bear on the process;
- Serve the broader University rather than sectional interest;
- Maintain the integrity of the process and exercise the highest level of professionalism.
The following questions should guide your deliberations:
- What does it mean to be a HBCU in the 21st Century?
- What or should distinguish us from our peers?
- Is our existing model sustainable, if not, how should we change?
- What is and/or what should be distinctive about FVSU’s curriculum?
- Are there new academic opportunities that should be developed or existing areas that should be revised or sunset?
- What role will/should diversity play in the next 3-5 years?
- What role should we play in economic development for the region?
- How do we make FVSU not just survive but thrive in the next five years?
- What is the optimal size of the student body?
- How can we better equip our students with the tools needed to be successful at FVSU and beyond?
Strategic Plan Guiding Principles
The following parameters will guide development of Fort Valley State University’s (FVSU) Strategic Plan.
- The strategic plan must be bold but realistic and practical.
- The plan should be a bold, dynamic, i.e., a living, breathing document that help FVSU direct its efforts and resources toward a clearly defined vision for the future.
- The strategic planning process should be transparent and inclusive and consider or account for major “PEST” factors.
- The plan should address the most critical and strategic issues and priorities confronting FVSU.
- The plan should set forth a clear direction and goals for the next five years.
- The plan should not include unrealistic goals/actions that cannot be met or implemented.
- The plan should establish a vision for Fort Valley University’s future.
- What is the best possible future for Fort Valley State University?
- What does success look like for FVSU 10 years from now?
- The plan should build consensus on Fort Valley State University’s mission.
- Over the next 5 to 10 years, in what ways should FVSU’s mission evolve or change?
- The goals in Fort Valley State University’s plan should be bold, attainable, and supported by strategies, objectives, resource requirements, and accountability mechanisms.
- What are the most strategic goals?
- What are the major strategies for achieving goals, clearly expressed in the plan’s objectives?
- What actions or groups of actions will be undertaken to implement strategies and achieve objectives?
- What benchmarks or milestones should measure FVSU’s progress?
- What resources will be needed to achieve desired outcomes?
- Where does the “buck” stop relative to implementing the plan?
Paul Jones, Ph.D.