What is Title IX?
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (20 U.S.C. § 1681) provides that no person shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied benefits or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.
The following are examples of types of sex-based discrimination prohibited by Title IX:
- Sexual harassment, including sexual assault, occurring in connection with any academic, athletic, extracurricular or other university program, regardless of the location;
- Discriminatory decision-making by a supervisor of an employee based on the employee’s sex;
- Failure to provide equitable opportunity for participation in intercollegiate sports; or
- Disproportionate awards of athletic scholarships.
Educational institutions that receive federal financial assistance are covered by Title IX. If only one of the institution’s programs or activities receives federal funding, all of the programs within the institution must comply with Title IX regulations. In compliance with Title IX, Fort Valley State University prohibits discrimination in employment as well as in all programs and activities on the basis of sex.
Pursuant to Title IX and its regulations (34 C.F.R. Part 106), the Fort Valley State University Title IX Coordinator is the designated university official with primary responsibility for coordinating the university’s compliance with Title IX and other federal and state laws and regulations relating to sex-based discrimination.
The Title IX Coordinator:
- Promotes the creation of policies, procedures and notifications designed to ensure university compliance with Title IX
- Oversees implementation of compliance procedures, including investigation and disposition of complaints
- Answers questions and provides guidance about Title IX compliance and the university’s related policies and procedures
- Acts as liaison to the state and federal agencies that enforce Title IX
- Helps ensure the campus community and university employees with Title IX compliance responsibilities are adequately trained and educated
- Monitors all other aspects of the university’s Title IX compliance
Title IX Coordinator
Karin D. Vinson, J.D.
Compliance Coordinator – Title IX Coordinator and Contracts
Title IX Investigator
Sonya A. Williams, J.D.
Compliance Coordinator – FERPA and Conduct Specialist
Title IX and Compliance Trainer
Maya Brown, J.D.
In the interest of complying with our responsibilities under Title IX, and Board of Regents/FVSU policies, any report of sexual misconduct to a responsible employee must be reported to the Title IX Coordinator as soon as practically possible. This immediate and direct reporting to the Title IX Coordinator ensures that complaints are being addressed promptly and adequately, and most importantly, that parties are receiving essential resources.
If you have any questions regarding Title IX, the sexual misconduct policy or any of our duties under Title IX, please contact the Title IX Coordinator, Karin.Vinson@fvsu.edu. Also please be aware, the Title IX Coordinator is working with numerous areas on their Title IX compliance; this includes departmental training.
To file an complaint:
- In writing, complete the online form or obtain the form by requesting via email at Karin.Vinson@fvsu.edu
- Phone: 478-825-4284 or 478-662-6901
- Fax: 478-825-6266
- Mail-FVSU Office of Legal and Government Affairs 1005 State University Drive, Fort Valley, GA 31030
- In person: Office of Legal and Government Affairs, 1stFloor Huntington Hall, Fort Valley, GA 31030
- Consensual Relationship Policies
- Sexual Misconduct/Title IX Policy
- Student Code of Conduct Investigation and Disciplinary Proceeding
- Sexual Harassment,Prohibited Conduct, and Non-Discrimination Policy August 2022
Office of Civil Rights filing process:
Inquiries concerning the application of Title IX may be referred to the address below, or contact:
U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, (800) 421-3481 or email@example.com
If you wish to fill out a complaint form online with the agency, you may do so at: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/complaintintro.html
These materials are the exclusive property of Title IX Solutions, LLC. All rights reserved, ©2021. The publishing of these materials on this website is authorized by Title IX Solutions, LLC solely for use by this institution in compliance with Regulation 34 CFR §106.45(b)(10)(i)(D). No other use or dissemination by this institution or any third party is authorized without the prior written consent of Title IX Solutions, LLC.
The information and materials provided during this program were for educational purposes only and not intended to be legal advice. Attendees should seek independent legal advice concerning the issues presented.
|Campus Resources||Online-Off Campus Resources|
Office of Legal and Government Affairs
|RAINN-Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) National Sexual Assault Hotline
|FVSU Police Department
Non-confidential Reporter 478-825-6211
Phoenix Health Center
940 A-GA Highway 96
Warner Robins, GA 31088
Employee ONLY Resources:
Your password is: USGcares
1-844-243-4440; Available 24/7; 365 days a year
|National Domestic Violence Hotline
Description: Support and assistance to anyone involved in a domestic violence situation.